* False Promise effectively nullifies Primal Roar's single-target initiation on allies. * Purifying Flames kills Beastmaster's Hawk instantly and Boar with two casts.
* Fate's Edict gives 100% magic resistance, which prevents most of Techies' damage. * Oracle's Fortune's End dispels Reactive Tazer buff from Techies allowing him to be attacked. However, Reactive Tazer will instantly perform the area of effect disarm that is normally applied at the end of the duration. * Fortune's End will also dispel Blast Off silence, Techies' Etheral Blade, Proximity Mines' magic resistance reduction, and Sticky Bomb's slow. However beware that it will only dispel Sticky Bomb's first or second instance of slow and not the damage, which will trigger as normal. Additional: * Oracle can negate all of Techies' skills with Fate's Edict, as they are all magic damage. Fate's Edict can also be used to search and trigger Proximity Mines when crossing mined territory. * Oracle can dispel Reactive Tazer off Techies, as well as the silence from Blast Off!, with Fortune's End. * Oracle can further delay Techies' burst damage capability with False Promise.
* Aphotic Shield effectively nullifies Primal Roar's single-target initiation on allies. * Even being initiated by Primal Roar, Borrowed Time can make Abaddon extremely difficult to kill. Additional: * Primal Roar can be instantly dispelled by Aphotic Shield. * The debuffs from Wild Axes and Poison from Call of the Wild: Boar can also be dispelled by Aphotic Shield.
* Aphotic Shield makes it less likely for allies to be killed by mines. * Because they explode in very short intervals, a stack of Remote Mines will always trigger Borrowed Time, making them impossible to kill Abaddon unless his resistances are lowered enough or Abaddon is affected by Break. * Abaddon can easily dispel the long-lasting root of Stasis Trap on himself and on an ally, while at the same also providing protection against the other mines' damage. Additional: * Borrowed Time's automatic activation will help Abaddon survive a field of Proximity Mines or a Blast Off combo. However, the damage from a single mine can kill him if his HP is low enough. * Aphotic Shield's can easily break Techies' Etheral Blade combo.
* Familiars can fly over the mines, rendering them safe from damage of Techies's mines. Visage can also use Familiars to check for mines on the map. * Techies's low attack speed and damage will give them a hard time in destroying Visage's Familiars, and that can become even worse if they are affected by Grave Chill. * Gravekeeper's Cloak allows Visage to survive Damage from Techies's mines.
* Thanks to Counterspell's magic resistance, Anti-Mage has a good chance of surviving a Blast Off combo. * Anti-Mage is a natural Manta Style carrier, meaning he can dispel the silence from Blast Off and blink away when Techies initiates on him.
* Cold Embrace mitigates Primal Roar's single-target initiation on allies. * Winter's Curse can turn Beastmaster's summons and Inner Beast against his teammate. Additional: * Beastmaster's summons and Inner Beast are very useful to attack his cursed teammate. * Cold Embrace effectively mitigates Primal Roar's single-target initiation on allies.
* Rage protects Lifestealer from all of Techies' abilities. Reactive Tazer's disarm will also not work on Lifestealer under Rage. * Rage can also be used to trigger Techies' Proximity Mines safely. Additional: * Lifestealer's Rage lets him clear Proximity Mines without taking damage, and allows him to hit heroes whom Techies has used Reactive Tazer on.
* Juggernaut can trigger Proximity Mines while in Blade Fury, and can walk away from a initiation with Blast Off if Blade Fury is activated before the silence. * Juggernaut ignores Reactive Tazer when he uses Omnislash, whether Techies used it to protect an ally or themselves.
* Exorcism's ghosts will automatically clear all Proximity Mines revealed when Death Prophet walks near them, provided that the ghosts do not have a specific target at that time. * Death Prophet is a natural Eul's Scepter of Divinity carrier, meaning she can easily escape a Blast Off initiation.
* Techies spends lots of time standing still planting stacks of Land Mines away from creep waves. * Sacred Arrow can be used to scout hidden Land Mines among trees and at uphill places. It can also be used to catch Techies while he's planting them. * If Techies is hit with a Sacred Arrow, he can be killed before he has a chance to use Blast Off!. * Mirana has a high attack range to destroy his traps from a safe distance.
* Frostbite kills boars instantly on the laning stage leading to either experience lead or disabling Beastmaster from using Boar * Crystal Nova nukes and slows down the attack and movement speed of Beastmaster's summons. * Freezing Field grants improved self armor, nukes and slows down Beastmaster and his summons.
* Reactive Armor is very effective against Beastmaster's summons during laning stage and entire game. * Timbersaw can quickly clear Beastmaster's summons with his nukes. * Lotus Orb item for Timbersaw can difficult for Primal Roar.
* Dark Ascension also allows Night Stalker to fly over Proximity Mines without triggering them. * Crippling Fear is effective in stopping Techies from using Blast Off and Void is effective in stopping them from running to the safety of their mines.
* Heroes with illusions and summons can manfight Night Stalker: Terrorblade, Beastmaster, Broodmother.
* Corrosive Skin will protect Viper from Techies' magical damage. * Even though Reactive Tazer will disarm Viper if he attacks Techies with Poison Attack, he does lots of damage with his other abilities that can still kill Techies.
* Illusion or summon-based heroes can be a problem to Viper due to his lack of AoE damage: Naga Siren, Phantom Lancer, Beastmaster
* Untouchable negates Inner Beast's attack speed bonus, making her hard to kill even if stunned by Primal Roar. * Enchantress can also take control of Beastmaster's summons. Additional: * Enchant can control Beastmaster's boars, mitigating his effectiveness during the laning stage and teamfights.
* Heroes with nukes that can jump her: Clockwerk, Snapfire, Spirit Breaker, Techies
Additional: * Techies does huge amounts of magical damage, which will bypass Untouchable. * Enchantress depends on abilities to do damage and heal, which Blast Off's silence prevents.
* The Hawk can easily find Monkey King while he is sitting on a tree. * Wild Axes can knock out Monkey King from tree. * Boars drastically reduce Monkey King's attack speed, making it harder for him to gain Jingu Mastery stacks. Additional: * Wild Axes can chop down trees, making it difficult for Monkey King to utilize Tree Dance well. * Call of the Wild Hawk can scout Monkey King when he is perched on top of trees. * Primal Roar can stun Monkey King for a lengthy duration even with spell immunity.
* Techies can turn his tree jumping ability against him, by placing Proximity Mines that will detect him near trees, and then destroying the trees around him with Blast Off, stunning him and dealing high damage, on top of him being silenced when the stun expires. * Monkey King's mobility is also severely limited around Techies' mines as he will almost always trigger them due to the cooldown time between tree jumps. Monkey King will be forced to take mine damage or escape with Primal Spring. Additional: * Proximity Mines can be placed near trees to detect Monkey King. * Follow up with Blast Off! to destroy the tree, causing Monkey King to take high damage, fall from the tree, and become stunned.
* Wild Axes destroys large amounts of trees specially upgraded with Aghanim's Scepter,
* Remote Mines are frequently placed in trees, and can thus kill an unwary Hoodwink should she Scurry away due to her low HP pool. * Blast Off! can clear out trees, denying the tactical advantages from Scurry.
* Wild Axes, Primal Roar and Drums of Slom can deal high damage to Chen and clear waves of his creeps. * Even though Chen can take control of the Boar from Call of the Wild Boar at any time with Holy Persuasion, which could put Beastmaster in a disadvantage against Chen. Skilled Beastmaster can buy Helm of the Overlord to regain control of it to counter this problem. * Smart Beastmaster can also buy Bloodthorn to prevent Chen from taking control of the Boar from Call of the Wild Boar and make Chen more vulnerable to Beastmaster.
* Techies can easily catch Chen off guard and kill him quickly with Blast Off! and Ethereal Blade combo, especially because Blast Off! can silence Chen and stun him when upgraded with Aghanim's Shard. * However, Chen's converted creeps can trigger Proximity Mines, wasting them.
* Heroes with AoE abilities are a bane to Beastmaster's summons: Storm Spirit, Magnus, Pangolier.
* Heroes who rely on high mobility are especially vulnerable to Primal Roar: Storm Spirit, Ember Spirit, Queen of Pain.
* If Storm Spirit isn't careful, he could fall into a trap set by Techies and another hero acting as bait. * Stasis Trap roots Storm Spirit for 2/3/4/5 seconds and Blast Off! silences for 4/5/6/7 seconds, which effectively prevents Storm Spirit from using Ball Lightning to escape for a lengthy duration.
* Heroes with disables that ignore spell immunity will render Phantom Assassin quite useless in teamfights throughout the game: Axe, Enigma, Vengeful Spirit, Doom, Bane, Beastmaster, Pudge, Medusa, Warlock.
* Skywrath Mage also has a terrible time fighting against anything that isn't a hero. His skills are mostly target-based and he has terrible strength and agility, he can easily be kited or harassed by illusion-based heroes like Chaos Knight and Phantom Lancer, or by Heroes that summon other units like Lone Druid, Lycan and Beastmaster.
* Some abilities deals damage from an independent source and not from the hero itself, so Nyx cannot counter them with Spiked Carapace: illusions or summoning units, Homing Missile, Nimbus, Mass Serpent Ward, Death Ward and especially Techies's mines.
* Heroes with both illusions and summons, for Io has nothing to deal with multiple enemies at once outside from Spirits's weak area-of-effect: Beastmaster, Broodmother, Chaos Knight, Lycan, Naga Siren, Nature's Prophet, Phantom Lancer, Shadow Shaman, Terrorblade, Visage, Warlock, Wraith King.
* Heroes with summons like Broodmother, Enigma, Nature's Prophet; or illusions, like Naga Siren, Terrorblade are effective at keeping the choke points and rune spawns safe from Proximity Mines.
* Techies deals lots of magical damage with Sticky Bomb, Blast Off! and Proximity Mines that bypasses Terrorblade's high armor and can punish his low max life. * Sticky Bomb is easy to land on a large clump of Terrorblade illusions and will damage and slow Terrorblade and all of his illusions if he can't quickly move the right one away. * Reactive Tazer upgraded with Aghanim's Scepter can be used to protect an ally getting attacked by Terrorblade. Further, it disarms all of his illusions even while he has activated Black King Bar, greatly decreasing his damage. * Blast Off! stuns Terrorblade, preventing him from casting Sunder.
* Heroes with Linken's Sphere as core item: Weaver, Morphling, Medusa.
* Morphling usually has low max health due to shifting strength into agility, which combined with Blast Off's silence will prevent him from using Waveform and Adaptive Strike (Strength), leaving him defenseless and making him an easy target to burst down.
* Single-target disablers will have difficulty locking down a Chaos Knight with Phantasm active: Bane, Beastmaster, Bloodseeker, Clockwerk, Doom, Shadow Shaman.
* Techies has great area of effect damage to deal with Phantasm illusions. * Blast Off silences Chaos Knight, stopping him from using his disables and allowing his teammates to walk away from his heavy damage. * Reactive Tazer will disarm all of Chaos Knight's illusions even if he has activated his Black King Bar.
* He can send wolves to defuse Proximity Mines, and he can catch up Techies and kill him before they can deny themselves. Even if the suicide is successful, Lycan can still survive because of his tankiness.
* Primal Roar allows Beastmaster to keep Lycan in place after he used his Shapeshift.
* Wraith King is not afraid to walk into mines, whenever he goes with his Reincarnation ready.
* Wraith King's lack of area of effect spells makes him easily overwhelmed by Beastmaster's summons.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.