* Flux along with Spark Wraith allows Arc Warden to quickly burst down Drow Ranger due to her low health. * However, Drow Ranger can bypass Magnetic Field's evasion bonus thanks to Marksmanship. Additional: * Magnetic Field protects Arc Warden and allies from Drow Ranger's ranged attacks. She most likely will not enter the field since she will lose Marksmanship's bonus agility. * Beware however, as Marksmanship procs will still hit since they have True Strike, so the most damaging arrows will still hit you inside Magnetic Field.
* Magnetic Field lets Arc Warden or allies evade Dark Willow's shadow realm attacks. The duration of the evasion can be extended with the clone. * Spark Wraith also exploits Dark Willow's low mobility.
* Nyx Assassin has a lot of burst damage from his Impale, Mind Flare, Dagon, and the bonus damage from Vendetta. All of this damage is enough to kill Drow Ranger. * Nyx Assassin is usually invisible most of the time thanks to his ability Vendetta, which allows him to gank Drow Ranger easily.
* Nyx Assassin's high burst damage can be the bane of Dark Willow, as her low health makes it difficult to survive long enough to escape through Shadow Realm. * Spiked Carapace can be triggered by walking deliberately into Bramble Maze, leaving Dark Willow stunned and defenseless.
* Meat Hook brings Drow Ranger to Pudge, disabling Marksmanship and dealing a huge amount of damage when combined with Rot and Dismember. * Rot keeps Pudge close to Drow Ranger, continuously disabling Marksmanship. Additional: * Meat Hook can pull Drow Ranger to Pudge, disabling her Marksmanship. * Following up with Dismember will prevent Drow Ranger from using Gust or Shadow Blade.
* Rot and Meat Hook hits Dark Willow even when she uses Shadow Realm. * Flesh Heap reduces Dark Willow's magic burst damage.
* Blink Strike gets Riki close to Drow Ranger and disable Marksmanship. * Cloak and Dagger allow Riki stay close to Drow Ranger without her noticing him, which allows him to disable Marksmanship. Additional: * With Blink Strike, Riki can get close to Drow Ranger and disable her Marksmanship, and Smoke Screen will prevent her from using Gust.
* Frail heroes who lacks mobility: Crystal Maiden, Enigma, Dark Willow, Vengeful Spirit.
Additional: * Smoke Screen prevents Dark Willow from using her abilities, rendering her defenseless and unable to deal any serious damage. * Blink Strike lets Riki jump past Bramble Maze.
* Berserker's Call forces Drow Ranger to attack Axe up close, disabling her Marksmanship bonus. * Counter Helix occurs more often with Drow Ranger's high attack speed. * Culling Blade is a dangerous ability against a low health hero like Drow Ranger.
* Berserker's Call forces Dark Willow to attack, cancelling Shadow Realm.
* Ranged heroes that can easily harass Axe: Drow Ranger, Sniper, Lion.
* Fortune's End can easily dispel Cursed Crown before it times out and stuns. He can also save a stunned ally with False Promise. * Fate's Edict can easily negate Bedlam's over-time damage, since the spell provides no form of control. Similarly, he can also negate the magic burst from Shadow Realm. * Fortune's End can dispel the fear effect from Terrorize, and it can remove the root from Bramble Maze if cast quick enough. Be mindful that Fortune's End only dispels your allies' debuffs on the primary target. Additional: * Fortune's End not being disjointable is almost an ensured disable if Dark Willow tries to escape with Shadow Realm. Dispels Cursed Crown and Terrorize. * Fate's Edict negates all her magic damage in case she catches a single hero. * False Promise's strong dispel removes Dark Willow's disables.
* Phantom Rush lets Phantom Lancer get close quickly and disable Marksmanship. * As Phantom Lancer commonly buys Manta Style, he can easily dispel Gust and then chase after Drow Ranger. * Because Phantom Lancer is a natural Diffusal Blade carrier, he can easily burn Drow Ranger's mana and render her unable to use Frost Arrow and Gust to save herself.
* Laser along with Heat-Seeking Missile allows Tinker to quickly burst down Drow Ranger due to her low health. * Heat-Seeking Missile lets Tinker out-range Drow Ranger and hit her in the backline of a teamfight.
* Shapeshift allows Lycan to get close and disable Marksmanship. * Shapeshift also makes him immune to slows like Drow Ranger's Frost Arrows. Additional: * The Wolves's speed causes the knockback from Gust to be ineffective. * Drow Ranger lacks escapes and loses her Marksmanship when someone is near her. Lycan can take advantage of these weaknesses of Drow Ranger.
* Life Break closes the distance between Huskar and Drow Ranger, dealing large amounts of damage and disabling Marksmanship. * Berserker's Blood and Burning Spear allow Huskar to beat Drow Ranger directly and pile on damage.
* Jakiro's area of effect abilities can hit Dark Willow even while she is hidden during the Shadow Realm. * Waiting about 2 seconds after Dark Willow casts Shadow Realm to cast Ice Path will stun her while her Shadow Realm is at it's maximum damage. * Jakiro can stun Dark Willow when there is about 1 second left on Cursed Crown, Jakiro's Ice Path stun lasts slightly longer then Cursed Crown.
* In team fights, Guardian Angel renders Drow Ranger's physical damage useless, and Drow Ranger has no way to purge it. And to make thing worse, Drow Ranger is not a common Nullifier wielder to counter this problem at all.
* Spectre can easily close the distance on Drow Ranger with Haunt and stick on her with Spectral Dagger, effectively disables her Marksmanship. * Spectre does not care if silenced by Gust, since Spectre will catch her up regardless. * Dispersion can reflect some damage back to Drow Ranger should she chooses to attack. * Be careful once she got her Silver Edge as an attempt to shut you down.
* Drow Ranger's low mobility and lack of defensive abilities make her an easy gank target in the early to mid-game. * A Dueling Drow Ranger will lose her precious Marksmanship, reduce her damage output significantly, and will more likely lose that Duel.
* Ancient Seal instantly shuts down Dark Willow's abilities, rendering her defenseless against his high burst damage spells, while she cannot cast spells of her own. * Mystic Flare deals immense burst damage in an area, damaging Dark Willow through Shadow Realm.
* A well-timed Dark Pact can dispel Frost Arrows and Gust, letting Slark engage and escape freely. * Essence Shift is very detrimental for Drow Ranger as the loss of agility means that Marksmanship will also suffer from getting weakened. * Shadow Dance lets Slark quickly close the gap and deal heavy damage without giving Drow Ranger a chance to retaliate. * Pounce counteracts Frost Arrows's slow, and also allows Slark easily pin Drow Ranger down or flee from her. * Depth Shroud from Aghanim's Shard will allow Slark to save both, himself and his allies and will also allow them to freely fight back against Drow Ranger without her noticing them. Additional: * Pounce and items like Shadow Blade makes it very difficult for Drow Ranger to keep her distance from Slark, thereby losing her Marksmanship bonus. * Gust is rarely enough to keep Slark at bay, as Drow Ranger has no movement abilities and will simply be chased down afterwards. * Drow Ranger's heavy dependence on agility also makes her significantly weaker after being drained by Essence Shift.
* Snowball and Ice Shards keep Drow Ranger down and preventing her from running away. * Snowball also lets Tusk get to Drow Ranger and stop her Marksmanship bonus. It can also be to save allies affected by Gust. * Tag Team allows Tusk to slow her down and land a killing blow on her. * Walrus PUNCH! slows Drow Ranger and deals a huge amount of damage to her, due to her low health (and low armor without Marksmanship, since Tusk can quickly close the gap to Drow Ranger).
* All of Puck's abilities are area-targeted, and will hit Dark Willow when she uses Shadow Realm. * Illusory Orb allows Puck to bypass Bramble Maze, close the gap and silence Dark Willow with Waning Rift. * Phase Shift helps Puck dodge attacks charged by Shadow Realm, and is easily timed against Terrorize's long cast time.
* Mirana can use Leap to jump right next to Drow Ranger or can approach her while under cover of the invisibility granted by Moonlight Shadow, which cancels the bonus granted to Drow Ranger by Marksmanship. * Her low health makes her easy to burst down with Mirana's spells, especially with Aghanim's Scepter. * Mirana can dodge Gust with good reaction time, or Leap away if Drow tries to slow her without Gust.
* Hookshot lets Clockwerk close the gap to Drow Ranger, disabling her Marksmanship bonus. * Power Cogs and Battery Assault keep Drow Ranger from escaping. * Power Cogs and Battery Assault also keep Drow Ranger close, nullifying Marksmanship. Additional: * Getting trapped in Power Cogs usually means the end for Drow Ranger.
* Drow Ranger has a very low health pool, allowing Lion to burst her down. * Lack of any innate escape mechanism makes her an easy target for Lion's disables. * Early on she can't deal as much damage to be life threatning. Her Gust is her best weapon against Lion.
* Flame Guard blocks Dark Willow's magical burst damage, and harms her if she tries to get close to attack with Bedlam. * Sleight of Fist and Fire Remnant makes it hard for Dark Willow to fully disable Ember Spirit.
* While heroes with strong mobility are able to get close or flee from Upheaval, heroes with no escaping abilities or that lack long disables will perish against Warlock. Once the Warlock Golem lands with its stun, its hardly possible to escape when he casts Upheaval. Notable examples: Huskar, Drow Ranger, Lion, Elder Titan, etc.
* Heroes with high physical damage output but lack of reliable escape mechanisms are always a good target for a solo gank: Sniper, Shadow Fiend, Troll Warlord, Drow Ranger. Those heroes, however, are dangerous if they manage to close the gap, so take caution.
* Last Word and Arcane Curse have the range to hit Dark Willow beyond Bramble Maze. * Global Silence renders Dark Willow useless in teamfights.
* Heroes who rely on passive abilities and attacks, such as Drow Ranger, Wraith King, and Lone Druid, can render Silencer useless. But remember that a smart Silencer will most likely buy Silver Edge to counter this if he is played as carry.
* As long as Mars is facing her with Bulwark, even if pushed away with Gust, Drow Ranger will do no effectual damage against him. Mars' ability to endure her onslaught usually gives him enough time to cast Arena of Blood, of which she has a very slim chance surviving without Gust. * With Bulwark's active ability, Mars can protect allies pursued by Drow Ranger by redirecting her projectiles to his shield instead.
* Heroes with high magical or pure damage will bypass Bulwark: Timbersaw, Dark Willow, Enigma, Invoker, Pugna, Skywrath Mage, Tinker, Zeus, Oracle.
* Drow Ranger build Shadow Blade can avoided from Focus Fire and upgrade with Silver Edge can also break from Windrun. * Hurricane Pike allows her to close the gap and deal immenese damage and provides decent stats to her. Additional: * A well-timed from Gust is impossible Windranger's can not escaping from Windrun. * Combinating Frost Arrows and Eye of Skadi will Windrun movement speed slow. * Hurricane Pike allows Her to close the gap and deal damage from Focus Fire provides decent ststs to her. * Drow Ranger build item Shadow Blade or Silver Edge makes easily two conditions from her can break from Windrun or avoided from Focus Fire and combinating build Nullifier in lategame makes Windranger's weakness from Windrun useless in lategame.
* Windrun does not protect Windranger from Cursed Crown stun or Dark Willow's magical nukes. * Focus Fire cannot target Dark Willow in Shadow Realm and will be interrupted if targeted earlier, wasting the ultimate. Additional: * Windrun does not protect Windranger from Cursed Crown's stun or Dark Willow's magical nukes. * Focus Fire cannot target Dark Willow in Shadow Realm and will be interrupted if targeted earlier, wasting the ultimate.
* Powerful physical hitters that can destroy Pangolier during his rolling from afar: Drow Ranger, Sniper, Templar Assassin, Arc Warden
* Heroes with powerful rooting abilities will disable most of Pangolier's skills, a bonus point if it pierces spell immunity since it will also be able to stop Pangolier during his Rolling Thunder: Treant Protector, Meepo, Crystal Maiden, Dark Willow, Underlord, Naga Siren
* Bramble Maze prevents Timbersaw from Timber Chaining away without getting rooted. * Cursed Crown can still catch Timbersaw if he Timber Chains away. * Reactive Armor offers little protection against Dark Willow's high magical damage.
* A well-timed Gust will prevent Rubick from casting abilities from Spell Steal, and his lack of capabilities and low health pool usually dies very quickly. * Drow Ranger can dispel Fade Bolt's reduction debuff with Manta Style.
* Drow Ranger can be difficult to get on top of, thanks to her Frost Arrows and Gust. With these two abilities, Drow Ranger is able to effectively 'kite' Doom and minimize his impact during team fights and laning stage. * Much of Drow Ranger's effectiveness comes from her passive, which is not disabled by Doom.
* Black Hole while definitely a threat to Drow Ranger, is very hard to land as she likes to keep her distance from allies and enemies alike. And if not caught in it, will kill Enigma very quickly due to his low health. * Malefice can be removed with a Manta Style. * Drow Ranger being a fairly low health, high armored agility carry doesn't take much damage from Midnight Pulse as others would. * Demonic Conversion units die very quickly to Marksmanship or even just regular attacks not far into the game within 2 or 3 hits.
* Dragon Knight has no built-in disengage from Frost Arrows, and Marksmanship procs ignore base armor, bypassing Dragon Knight’s durability for the most part, making Drow one of the few heroes that can deal enough sustained damage to solo kill Dragon Knight. * With Aghanim's Scepter, Frost Arrows also apply hypothermia stacks, reducing her target’s regen, which is especially potent against tanks like Dragon Knight. (A similar effect can also be achieved with an Eye of Skadi).
* Bramble Maze greatly hinders Bloodseeker's ability to run around in teamfights and pick off dying allies. * Shadow Realm prevents Bloodseeker from attacking dark Willow, allowing her to safely teleport away.
* A well-timed Gust will prevent Weaver from escaping, and a silenced Weaver usually dies very quickly. * Weaver gains a lot of armor, which is bypassed by Marksmanship. Additional: * A well-timed Gust followed by Frost Arrows will prevent Weaver from escaping with Shukuchi. A Weaver silenced for more than 3 seconds usually dies very quickly. * Due to her high attack speed, Drow Ranger can easily kill The Swarm beetles.
* Dark Willow's burst damage and stun prevents Troll Warlord from approaching her until he has Black King Bar. * Troll Warlord's lack of burst damage makes it hard for him to kill Dark Willow before she slips into Shadow Realm.
* Clinkz has no stun and likes to keep his distance from targets, making Marksmanship very deadly. * Clinkz also has low health, making him a perfect hero to initiate onto with Gust. * Gust can also prevent Clinkz from using Burning Barrage.
* Any hero that can outrange Plague Ward can neutralize them without putting themselves at risk of receiving Poison Sting: Arc Warden, Chen, Clinkz, Drow Ranger, Lina, Mirana, Nature's Prophet, Pugna and Sniper. * Special mention to heroes that outrange Plague Ward after obtaining talents that increase attack range.
* Heroes who can stun multiple units at once: Dark Willow, Spirit Breaker, Slardar, Invoker, and Tidehunter.
Additional: * Casting Bramble Maze on top of Meepo guarantees a root, as it is nearly impossible to leave the thorns with all of Meepo's clones. * Terrorize and Cursed Crown offer great disables against the grouped Meepos and can prevent them from using Poof to escape.
* Heroes with high base damage (Morphling, Tiny, Drow Ranger), heroes with mana burning abilities (Anti-Mage), and Diffusal Blade users (Juggernaut or Riki) will suffer from Reflection's illusions.
* Metamorphosis will not match the range of Drow Ranger and he will struggle to do damage to her if she is not locked down already by someone else. * Conjure Image will be destroyed very quickly due to Marksmanship. * Terrorblade generally likes to be the big bad late game carry who sits in the middle of the fight and kills whoever is closest, which is very unlikely to be Drow Ranger therefore making it likely she will be going on him in teamfights. * Terrorblade's high base armor and agility items makes him very vulnerable to Marksmanship. Additional: * Even though Drow Ranger's damage output is 100% physical, Marksmanship allows Drow Ranger to pierce Terrorblade's high natural base armor and when upgraded with Aghanim's Scepter, it will allow her to clear Terrorblade's illusions. * Gust can prevent Terrorblade from using Sunder. * Since Terrorblade doesn't like to buy armor items like Assault Cuirass, he will be very vulnerable to Drow Ranger's high physical burst damage.
* Marci can be effective against vulnerable squishy heroes that cannot deal with heroes that jump onto them - Sniper, Drow Ranger, Lina, Rubick, etc.
* Bramble Maze will very likely catch Marci midair, disabling Marci's chasing/fleeing ability. * Shadow Realm prevents Marci from bursting Willow down since she relies on physical attacks and unit target spells. With Aghanim's Scepter, Willow can hit Marci while Marci can't hit Willow. * Bedlam and Eul's Scepter of Divinity allows Willow to manfight if Marci initiates with Rebound. * Terrorize and Cursed Crown combo can waste Marci's ultimate for almost half of its duration.
* Generally, heroes that can close the gap on Drow Ranger to cancel her Marksmanship such as Phantom Assassin, Spirit Breaker, and Tusk are effective at limiting her power and bursting her down.
* Bramble Maze stops Charge of Darkness in its tracks. Its very long duration means it can be used as an obstacle to block off an incoming Spirit Break during teamfights. * Shadow Realm and Bedlam can be activated when Dark Willow sees Charge of Darkness coming, preventing Spirit Breaker from using Nether Strike after the initial stun.
* Morphling can use Waveform to close the gap between him and Drow Ranger, but should be careful of Gust and Frost Arrows. * Morphling is a natural Manta Style carrier, which dispels the silence from Gust.
* Attribute Shift (Strength Gain) may not be quick enough to fend off an attacking Drow Ranger. * Morphling likes to sit on low health with high agility, something Drow Ranger does not particularly care for and will still hit him hard with Marksmanship procs. * Morph is a similar story, none of Drow Ranger's spells are particularly good against her.
* Monkey King can scout Drow Ranger's positioning from the trees, and can jump on her without much trouble, disabling Marksmanship * She lacks innate mobility to escape from Wukong's Command, whose bonus armor gives MK one extra edge in the fight
* Terrorize forces Monkey King out of Wukong's Command.
* None of Dark Willow's spells pierce Spell Immunity, making Blade Fury a good counter against her. Additionally, it dispels Cursed Crown and Bramble Maze. * Dark Willow is generally fragile, which results in Omnislash being devastating against her. * However, if Shadow Realm is activated during Omnislash, then the attack damage is negated (though Omnislash can still jump to other enemies). Additional: * Blade Fury dispels most of Dark Willow's abilities, allowing Juggernaut to pass through Bramble Maze and cancel out Cursed Crown before the stun occurs. * However, Dark Willow can tank Omnislash with Shadow Realm. As she is a valid target, but invulnerable to right clicks.
* Drow Ranger can use Gust to push back Juggernaut before he can get in range to use Omnislash or Blade Fury.
* Counterspell negates Dark Willow's high magic burst damage. Its active blocks Cursed Crown. * Blink allows Anti-Mage to dodge Terrorize during its long cast animation, as well as avoiding the obstacles from Bramble Maze. On the other hand, if Anti-Mage gets caught inside Bramble Maze, he's unable to Blink away. * Dark Willow's chained magic burst requires a lot of mana, setting her up for damaging Mana Voids.
* None of Anti-Mage's skills are that effective against Drow Ranger. Gust prevents him from Blinking in or out, Counterspell is totally useless against Drow's physical damage, and as she usually doesn't have a high mana pool, Mana Break and Mana Void don't do much either. * Be careful however that Anti-Mage may eventually farm enough to Blink on top of you and kill you straight away, considering you have no natural tools to escape from him.
* Time Walk could be used to close the distance within Drow Ranger, hindering her Marksmanship bonus. * Faceless Void could lock down Drow Ranger with Chronosphere before she has the chance to retaliate due to her low health pool.
* Terrorize forces Faceless Void out of Chronosphere.
* Heroes who have low or high armor but very high health will be difficult for drow to burst down quickly: Primal Beast, Axe, Centaur Warrunner.
* Primal Beast really suffers against supports he cannot bully in the lane: this includes Dazzle, Shadow Demon and Dark Willow since they can use their respective abilities to stop Primal Beast from dealing burst damage, or make it hard for him to stay in range.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.