* Invoker is heavily dependent on his spells, making him useless during Global Silence, as well as interrupting Invoker during his combo. * Arcane Curse is particularly deadly, because Invoker will continuously lose health if he keeps invoking and casting new spells. * Last Word will silence Invoker when he casts Invoke, interrupting his combo.
* Arcane Curse can effectively discourage Undying from casting his spammable abilities in a team fight, as Undying will have to suffer more damage and the slow due to the penalty duration of Arcane Curse. * Last Word and Global Silence are able to silence Undying for up to 6 seconds, preventing Undying from gaining strength and healing his ally or himself.
* Rage grants immunity from Invoker's spells and can dispel most of the disables such as the armor loss from Forge Spirit and the constant stuns of Cold Snap. Additional: * Rage protects Lifestealer from all of Invoker's spells (except for Sun Strike).
* Lifestealer is able to endure Undying, especially in the laning phase, where Undying is strongest. Feast can offset Decay's strength steal for its percentage lifesteal. Rage delays Undying from stealing strength and can help Lifestealer destroy Undying's Tombstone uninterrupted. As well, none of Undying's abilities pierce magic immunity.
* Anti-Mage's mobility and magic resistance make him nearly impossible to kill alone. * Invoker's spells cost a lot of mana, and Invoker himself has a lot of mana. This means Invoker and his team are vulnerable to Mana Void's heavy damage. * Blink allows Anti-Mage to escape from Invoker's combo if he doesn't have disables.
* Tombstone's zombies rarely inhibit Anti-Mage, as he can either Blink away or onto the Tombstone and destroy it.
* Quas-Exort Invoker is also a good matchup due to the fact he has no Wex to run faster due to the movement impairment on his stealth. The Forge Spirit and Cold Snap combo doesn't harm her as well since you can drain Invoker's HP with Spirit Siphon which forces him to retreat. * Silence also prevents Invoker from using Invoke or casting his main spells temporarily. There is no way Invoker can block it unless he has Eul's Scepter of Divinity to cyclone himself or has help from allies.
* Death Prophet is able to Silence Undying up to 6 seconds. Besides, due to Undying's high strength during a team fight, Spirit Siphon is a powerful ability against Undying thanks to the percentage health drain.
* Phantom Lancer's many illusions will easily destroy Tombstone, provided he has sufficient farm. * He also has no ways of dealing with the illusions, since Decay doesn't steal strength from illusions.
* Crippling Fear is a good way to shut down and gank Invoker in the early game.. * Void deals good damage to Invoker and makes escaping harder. * With Hunter in the Night and Void, Invoker can't get away from Night Stalker and won't be able to catch him with Sun Strike during the night.
* Broodmother can kill Invoker easily in the early game with her Spawn Spiderlings and her spiderlings. * Broodmother is both an Orchid Malevolence and a Nullifier carrier. As she can farm it early, she can kill Invoker easily.
* Nyx Assassin can simply activate Spiked Carapace while under many Invoker's abilities to stun him. * Nyx Assassin takes advantage of Invoker's massive intelligence gain to do tons of damage using Mind Flare, as the spell does more damage based on the target's intelligence. * Vendetta burns a large amount of Invoker's essential mana pool.
* Due to Fervor and Battle Trance, Troll Warlord has a significant attack speed, enabling him to crush Tombstone quickly. * Undying usually stays at the front line with no disables, making him an easy target for Troll Warlord.
* Queen of Pain usually outlanes Invoker, giving her team a significant early game advantage while Invoker is still farming. * Blink allows Queen of Pain to escape from Invoker's combo if he doesn't have disables.
* Time Walk can easily avoid Invoker's combo damage if doesn't have disables. * Chronosphere will reveal Invoker during Ghost Walk. * All of Invoker's hidden cooldowns are affected by Time Dilation, so Faceless Void can easily slow him down a lot. Additional: * Time Dilation prevents Invoker from further invoking for the entire duration of the debuff, as well as massively slowing Invoker based on the large amount of spells he has. * Time Walk will completely negate Invoker's combo damage. * If Invoker is caught in Chronosphere, he will most likely be the primary target due to the large teamfight contribution he can provide.
* Nether Ward on its own can greatly hinder Invoker from casting many of his abilities, at least until he gets a significant amount of HP or is under the protection of spell immunity from Black King Bar * Life Drain provides True sight, revealing Invoker through Ghost Walk, and forcing him or his allies to use an ability or item to interrupt its channeling * Outside of Nether Ward's range, Invoker shall have the advantage, as Invoker has Tornado to purge Pugna's Decrepify when it is used defensively, Tornado or Cold Snap to prevent Pugna from channeling Life Drain * A poorly used Decrepify on Pugna's allies means Invoker's abilities can be used to deal more damage to them. Additional: * Because Invoker relies on casting a large amount of spells to contribute to fights, Nether Ward can force him to not cast anything at all or take a large amount of damage to cast spells.
* Earth Spirit is a dangerous foe to encounter for Invoker in the early stages of the game. Since Invoker needs to gain levels as fast as possible and is not very strong in the early game, Earth Spirit can use his incredible early game power to gank Invoker and ruin his game plan. * Earth Spirit combines stuns and silences with his spells and can apply them from a great distance. This is bad for Invoker as he is dependent on a smart usage of his spells with Invoke and Earth Spirit can disrupt his combos easily.
* Templar Assassin can easily counter Invoker's last hitting process in the early game with Refraction. Refraction also negates the stun from Cold Snap, since it will need to deal damage in order to apply its stun. * Additionally, Refraction completely blocks damage from Sun Strike should Invoker try to finish her off, provided she activate Refraction beforehand.
* Blade Fury, similar to Rage, grants immunity to Invoker's spells and can dispel some debuffs as well. * Omnislash renders Juggernaut invulnerable to Invoker's spells and can easily take Invoker down. Additional: * Juggernaut's instant spell immunity from Blade Fury. helps him dodge Invoker's combos. He can dispel the disables from Cold Snap and Deafening Blast and dodge the damage from Chaos Meteor, as well as walk through Ice Wall. * Juggernaut's high DPS allows him to kill split pushing Forge Spirit(s) effortlessly, and his high armor prevents them from being a threat to him. * However, Invoker can hit Juggernaut with Sun Strike through Blade Fury, making the Tornado and Sun Strike combo a threat if he does not dodge Tornado.
* Tidehunter takes close to no damage from Undying's zombies once he maxes out his Kraken Shell, especially if he gets the level 20 Kraken Shell upgrading talent. This might allow him to blink away to safety.
* Luna's Moon Glaives and Lunar Blessing can help her destroy Tombstone easily, and this becomes more effective if Luna is equipped with Manta Style. * Spell Immunity of Zombies from Tombstone is a total disadvantage against Luna because Eclipse will strike only Undying, which can turn Undying's own ability against him. * Though Undying often builds Blade Mail which can turn Luna's burst damage against her, Luna often builds Black King Bar which will allow her to attack Undying freely because Blade Mail cannot pierce spell immunity. Additional: * Luna's Moon Glaives and Lunar Blessing can help her destroy Tombstone easily, and this becomes more effective if Luna is equipped with Manta Style. * Spell Immunity of Zombies from Tombstone is a total disadvantage against Luna because Eclipse will strike only Undying, which can turn Undying's own ability against him. * Though Undying often builds Blade Mail which can turn Luna's burst damage against her, Luna often builds Black King Bar which will allow her to attack Undying freely because Blade Mail cannot pierce spell immunity.
* Tombstone can be stolen to counter-initiate the enemy team in skirmishes. * Tombstone provides vision over the enemy around, use this to Rubick's advantage for more spells. * Since Undying is melee and has low attack speed, the tombstone can be hard to taken down by Undying himself. * Flesh Golem provides Rubick with increased Health pool and a powerful attack modifier. * Rubick can apply the Flesh Golem debuff much more easily as a ranged hero. * Decay is a decent damaging ability, making Rubick somewhat tankier in teamfights. * Soul Rip can be used for extra heal or burst damage. Additional: * All abilities from Undying easy to steal to Rubick with Spell Steal.
* Heroes that depend on disrupting fights with ability combos or big ultimate abilities are vulnerable to the long stun of Fiend's Grip: Disruptor, Death Prophet, Enigma, Faceless Void, Invoker, Lich, Magnus, Mars, Medusa, Outworld Destroyer, Phoenix, Puck, Queen of Pain, Shadow Fiend, Treant Protector, Underlord, Winter Wyvern, Witch Doctor, Zeus.
* In general, melee heroes without blink mechanisms or spell immunity will have a hard time positioning against Pit of Malice: Sven, Tiny, Wraith King, Dragon Knight, Meepo, Doom, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Undying, Alchemist, Legion Commander.
* Astral Imprisonment allows Outworld Destroyer to save himself or ally from Invoker's combo, or remove Invoker from a fight temporarily. * Arcane Orb's pure damage will deal a lot of damage against Invoker's mediocre strength gain. * E.M.P. is useless against Outworld Destroyer by activating Equilibrium. * However, be aware that Sanity's Eclipse will most likely not deal any damage at all, due to Invoker's high intelligence gain compared to Outworld Destroyer's.
* Any heroes with high intelligence, such as Invoker and Pugna.
* Doom completely takes Invoker out of a team fight, a hero who relies heavily on using abilities and items to contribute in team fights. Additional: * Doom is a good way to shut down Invoker, preventing from casting spells and using items for a lengthy time, thus forcing him to invest on Linken's Sphere.
* Heroes with a slow attack rate will find themselves struggling to take out Tombstone, like Doom.
* Cold Embrace is the perfect setup for all his nukes - Chaos Meteor, E.M.P. and especially global Sun Strike.
* Winter Wyvern cannot handle the Zombies created by Undying's Tombstone very well. In most situations, Zombies will have more movement speed than her. * Undying can gain one or two easy Decay stacks on an ally in Cold Embrace. The ally will still take the damage as well. Additional: * Winter Wyvern cannot handle the Zombies created by Tombstone very well. In most situations, Zombies will have more movement speed than her. * Undying can gain one or two easy Decay stacks on an ally in Cold Embrace. The ally will still take the damage as well, since it is magical.
* Ice Wall can slow down Charge of Darkness in its tracks at max level, allowing counterplays such as Cold Snap to end the charge, bursting down with Tornado, Meteor, and right clicks, or even teleporting back to spawn to drag Spirit Breaker into the fountain. * Cold Snap (if timed right) and Invoker's other disables like Tornado can interrupt Charge of Darkness, especially since Charge is telegraphed by the symbol appearing over head. Additional: * Cold Snap allows Invoker to interrupt Charge of Darkness and Nether Strike. * Tornado's long range can be used to cancel Charge of Darkness. * Deafening Blast prevents Spirit Breaker from right clicking and thus proccing his Greater Bash.
* Due to Spirit Breaker's low attack speed, Tombstone is problematic for Spirit Breaker as the zombies summoned from Tombstone apply a stacking movement speed slow, which can significantly reduce Greater Bash's damage. * Soul Rip and Decay allows Undying and his allies to survive from incoming ganks of Spirit Breaker.
* Heroes with high magical or pure damage will bypass Bulwark: Timbersaw, Dark Willow, Enigma, Invoker, Pugna, Skywrath Mage, Tinker, Zeus, Oracle.
* Decay, Soul Rip and Flesh Golem all deal magical damage which ignores Bulwark. * Decay reduces Mars' natural strength and therefore his health pool, which is what he relies on to trade effectively in lane.
* Heroes with naturally low mana can be easily shut down by E.M.P.: Sven, Tiny, Wraith King, Omniknight
* Undying can use Decay not only to reduce Sven's maximum health, but also to reduce the damage he can deal with his ultimate. * Zombies spawned by Tombstone together with Flesh Golem slow Sven down significantly. Landing Sven's powerful but somewhat slow right-click on Tombstone would be a waste.
* Undying's Decay is a dangerous ability against Bristleback, as it makes him more vulnerable and reduces his tankiness. * Undying's Tombstone together with Flesh Golem can slow Bristleback down significantly.
* Undying saps strength from heroes with Decay, and Ogre Magi's high strength gain will allow Undying to steal more and more strength, becoming stronger with each use. * Due to the Strength steal from Decay, Undying is normally very tanky, and has high health, making it harder for Ogre Magi to kill him.
* Invoker's numerous area-of-effect abilities can interrupt Primal Beast, especially while he is in the middle of a team fight, where Primal Beast thrives. (Tornado, Cold Snap, and Ice Wall all help to disable Primal Beast and control him from a distance. * E.M.P. disintegrates Primal Beast's low mana pool. * However, Invoker is quite a slow-paced hero and not particularly known for being survivable against a rampaging Primal Beast with Black King Bar.
* Spectre must chase for kills and relies on movement speed for mobility in fights, and has no way to counter the Tombstone zombies. * The potency of Soul Rip can be increased from nearby illusions from Haunt. * Decay will shut down Spectre during the laning phase by effectively cutting down her initial health pool. Additional: * Spectre must chase for kills and relies on movement speed for mobility in fights, and has no way to counter the Tombstone zombies. * The potency of Soul Rip can be increased from nearby illusions, so Undying can use Haunt against Spectre. * Early game Decay will make Spectre easy to shut down in lane.
* E.M.P. allows Invoker to burn Wraith King's mana to prevent Reincarnation from triggering (only until Wraith King gets his Aghanim's Shard). * Ice Wall and Cold Snap are particularly crippling for Wraith King as they allow to kite him very effectively, preventing him from dealing melee attack damage. Additional: * Invoker can drain Wraith King's mana with E.M.P., preventing him from reincarnating unless Wraith King has his Aghanim's Shard. * Even if Wraith King survives and reincarnates, Invoker still has an arsenal of spells to lockdown Wraith King, including an easily setup Ice Wall. * Tornado applies an area dispel to clear skeletons.
* Invoker's Forge Spirit can negate Flux. * Provided he does a right combo with Chaos Meteor, Invoker can easily burst down Arc Warden (plus his clone if he spawns it.) * An early Orchid Malevolence can shut down Arc Warden pretty hard, especially when Invoker has a good lane against him if he kills him early on. * Deafening Blast and Ice Wall limit's Arc Wardens mobility and damage, crippling him greatly.
* Undying's Tombstone will cheerfully chew through treants, incidentally netting you some extra income during fights. * The above interaction tends to ensure that skirmishes are heavily populated with units, thereby buffing Soul Rip
* Heroes with naturally low mana can be easily shut down by E.M.P.: Sven, Tiny, Wraith King, Omniknight
Additional: * Tornado dispels Heavenly Grace and Guardian Angel from multiple targets. * Guardian Angel is generally useless against Invoker as he primarily relies on magical damage. * E.M.P. depletes Omniknight's already small mana pool. * Invoker's many disables keep Omniknight's team occupied until Guardian Angel times out.
* Reactive Armor makes Timbersaw very effective against heroes that control a lot of units, such as Broodmother, Lycan and Undying.
* Cold Snap can prevent Timbersaw from using both Timber Chain and Chakram due to the frequent stuns interrupting the lengthy cast animations, as well as stopping him mid-chain. This can negate Timbersaw's attempts to escape or dole out extra ability damage. * Later in the game, Invoker's heavy magical and pure damage can be difficult to avoid, meaning Timbersaw's armor is less useful.
* Huskar's huge damage output and attack speed can get rid of Undying and Tombstone quickly.
* Quas Exort Invoker has high physical damage in the form of Cold Snap and Forged Spirits that allows him to trade hits with Huskar. * Although Huskar can dispel Cold Snap with Life Break. * Sun Strike deals pure damage and pierces spell immunity, and Huskar tends to drain his HP, making him a susceptible target.
* Terrorblade can destroy Tombstone with his Conjure Image and Metamorphosis.
* Heroes who can summon illusions and summons because Terrorblade has no abilities to deal with multiple enemies at once outside Reflection: Shadow Shaman, Naga Siren, Broodmother, Lycan, Enigma, Chaos Knight, Phantom Lancer, Shadow Demon, Dark Seer, Nature's Prophet, Invoker, Morphling, Visage, Grimstroke with Aghanim's Scepter.
* Split Shot can destroy Tombstone Zombies and Tombstone itself while still damaging heroes.
* E.M.P. allows Invoker to burn Medusa's mana to weaken Mana Shield. * Medusa's lack of mobility makes her easy to kite with Invoker's spells. Additional: * E.M.P. is a large mana burn nuke which can hit Medusa's Mana shield with enough damage to lose even more mana. * Deafening Blast disarms Medusa's ability to deal pseudo-AOE damage during teamfights. * Cold Snap allows the opposing team to repeatedly stun Medusa in short succession, preventing her from successfully casting her ultimate due to its long cast time.
* Sniper can easily destroy Tombstone from long range.
* Invoker's arsenal of magical spells are troublesome for Sniper who has low HP and high armor, which does not benefit him much against Invoker. * Besides magical damage, he can be disarmed and repeatedly mini-stunned with Cold Snap, preventing him from reacting. * Leveling Quas can allow Invoker to lane effectively against Sniper despite right-click harassment.
* Chemical Rage will take down Tombstone in no time. Additional: * With Greevil's Greed, Alchemist can farm Tombstone zombies and gain a significant gold advantage.
* Quas-Exort Invoker can win the mid lane easily against Alchemist because Quas regeneration will nullify Acid Spray's damage over time and Exort damage bonus will allow Invoker to out last hit Alchemist.
* Corrosive Skin makes Viper receive less damage from Invoker's spells * Viper can harass Invoker with his Poison Attack in the early game. * Viper Strike and Poison Attack can kill Invoker easily if Ghost Walk is on cooldown.
* Ice Wall and Ghost Walk can be used to kite and escape from Viper. * Chaos Meteor and Sun Strike deal heavy damage and can quickly bring Viper down. * Cold Snap, Tornado, and Deafening Blast are powerful disables that reduce Viper's effectiveness. * E.M.P. burns Viper's limited mana pool, reducing his potential poison damage. * Forge Spirits can melt Viper's armor and reduce his durability.
* Necrophos is a dangerous opponent to go against with. Regardless of how much strength Undying has gained from Decay, Necrophos can finish off Undying with Reaper's Scythe once Undying's HP falls below a certain threshold. * Heartstopper Aura will do more damage to Undying if he gained strength from Decay, as it does damage based on a hero's maximum health.
* Tornado allows Invoker to purge Necrophos's Ghost Shroud, nullifying any benefits he could get out of it * E.M.P. allows Invoker to burn Necrophos's mana, preventing him from using his abilities constantly
* Meepo can quickly destroy Tombstone thanks to Divided We Stand.
* Heroes with powerful area-of-effect disables can initiate on Meepo and his clones and shut him down, such as Enigma, Invoker, Magnus, Puck, and Sand King.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.