* Lich is going to have a hard time nuking Huskar because of his high health regeneration from Berserker's Blood. * Lich is a squishy support without an escape mechanism, making Lich an easy kill thanks to Life Break and Burning Spear. * Once Huskar has Armlet of Mordiggian, even a maxed out Frost Blast will struggle to finish Huskar off.
* Lich does not pose a big threat to Zeus in teamfights, as his spells don't have great cast range and Zeus should be too far back for a Chain Frost to bounce among him and his allies. * Lich has a low health pool, allowing Zeus to burst him down quickly.
* Lycan doesn't care much about Lich's slows thanks to Shapeshift. * Chain Frost can bounce to the wolves that Lycan summons. Additional: * Lich possesses a lot of slows, which Lycan doesn't care about when he Shapeshifts. * Lich has no in-built escape, which makes him a good target for Lycan.
* Centaur Warrunner's active abilities cannot pierce magic immunity. Hoof Stomp's slow wind up can also be anticipated and negated with Rage. * Lifestealer can offset Retaliate's damage return simply with Feast. Centaur's high strength gain and therefore big health pool makes him an ideal target to Feast on, especially in the late-game. Additional: * Feast is an effective tool against Centaur Warrunner, who generally has high health and low armor, and compensates the reflected damage of Retaliate. * If activated, Rage can protect Lifestealer from Hoof Stomp, Double Edge, and Stampede.
* Luna's Moon Glaives will not trigger Retaliate if they hit some other target first. Also Luna commonly buys items that provide lifesteal such as Satanic, which lets her heal from the damage of Retaliate, meaning that Retaliate has limited effect against her. * Eclipse can be used to counter-initiate against Centaur Warrunner after he jumps in with Blink Dagger, and initiates with Hoof Stomp. But remember that Centaur Warrunner can resolve this problem by buying Hood of Defiance and it's upgrade Pipe of Insight to diminish its damage. Or Blade Mail to reflect the damage of the Eclipse back at Luna. * Luna also commonly buys Black King Bar, which will allow her to protect herself from both, Centaur Warrunner's abilities (except for the Retaliate), and damage reflect from Blade Mail. Additional: * Luna's Moon Glaives will not trigger Retaliate if they hit some other target first. Also Luna commonly buys items that provide lifesteal such as Satanic, which lets her heal from the damage of Retaliate, meaning that Retaliate has little effect against her. * Eclipse can be used to counter-initiate against Centaur Warrunner after he jumps in with Blink Dagger, and initiates with Hoof Stomp. But remember that Centaur Warrunner can resolve this problem by buying Hood of Defiance and it's upgrade Pipe of Insight to diminish its damage. Or Blade Mail to reflect the damage of the Eclipse back at Luna. * Luna also commonly buys Black King Bar, which will allow her to protect herself from both, Centaur Warrunner's abilities (except for the Retaliate), and damage reflect from Blade Mail.
* Chain Frost can bounce to the treants that Nature's Prophet summons. * Nature's Prophet's Sprout can be used to isolate and burst down the squishy Lich. Additional: * His treants can prevent Chain Frost from jumping to Nature's Prophet or his allies.
* If Thirst activated, Lich doesn't slow Bloodseeker. * If he sees Chain Frost is targeting him, he can easily isolate himself with Thirst or forces Bloodseeker to build Blade Mail can cause Lich to accidentally kill himself with Chain Frost. * Even Lich builds Glimmer Cape or Force Staff are suicidal item against Bloodseeker when he is affected by Rupture.
* Weaver doesn't care much about Lich's slows thanks to Shukuchi. * If he sees Chain Frost is targeting him, he can easily isolate himself with Shukuchi so that it stops bouncing around. * Unless Lich bursts Weaver immediately, Lich has no hard disables or silences to prevent him from using Time Lapse.
* Heroes that have high health but little to no magic resistance are easy prey for Necrophos, as no matter how high they build their health up, Reaper's Scythe will kill them outright as long as they fall under a certain threshold, and Heartstopper Aura will deal the same amount of damage regardless, decaying their health the longer they stay within range. As such, Strength heroes like Chaos Knight, Centaur Warrunner or Magnus are good targets for his ultimate.
Additional: * With high health and rarely buying Linken's Sphere or Black King Bar, Centaur Warrunner is a good target for Reaper's Scythe. However, Centaur Warrunner can resolve this problem by buying Hood of Defiance and it's upgrade Pipe of Insight to diminish its damage. * Heartstopper Aura will do well against high health heroes such as Centaur Warrunner.
* Heroes that depend on disrupting fights with ability combos or big ultimate abilities are vulnerable to the long stun of Fiend's Grip: Disruptor, Death Prophet, Enigma, Faceless Void, Invoker, Lich, Magnus, Mars, Medusa, Outworld Destroyer, Phoenix, Puck, Queen of Pain, Shadow Fiend, Treant Protector, Underlord, Winter Wyvern, Witch Doctor, Zeus.
* Winter Wyvern's Arctic Burn can also be a useful tool against Centaur, who generally has very high health. Winter's Curse on Centaur can cause Retaliate to damage allies who are forced to attack him.
* Chain Frost can deliver high amounts of damage to Arc and his clone
* Arc Warden cannot take Centaur Warrunner very easily, and his nukes are not strong enough to deal with Centaur Warrunner. * Centaur Warrunner deals huge AoE damage and applies an AoE disable through Hoof Stomp, affecting the double as well the main Arc Warden. * Magnetic Field is not very effective against melee heroes. And to make things worse, Magnetic Field also increases Arc Warden and his allies's attack speed, meaning Retaliate will deal more damage. * Stampede catches Arc Warden easily due to his lack of escape mechanisms. However, Arc Warden can counter this problem with Gleipnir, which is a common item on Arc Warden.
* Frost Blast and Chain Frost can kite Troll Warlord effectively. * Frost Shield can single-handedly waste most of the duration of Battle Trance, due to the extreme resistance to physical damage Frost Shield provides. In addition, Troll Warlord is incapable of switching targets during Battle Trance, so he cannot pick an easier target. * Troll Warlord has little to no ability to regenerate HP, so Frost Blast together with Frost Shield can harass him effectively.
* Troll Warlord's high speed attack makes Retaliate deal a lot of damage to him.
* Chain Frost can eliminate Chaos Knight's Phantasm army, especially after he clumped up using Reality Rift. * Frost Shield will heavily reduce his army's effectiveness. Additional: * Lich's Chain Frost, especially after obtaining its respective talent that provides unlimited bounces, can take out all of Chaos Knight's illusions quickly. * An Aghanim's Scepter-upgraded Sinister Gaze can hypnotize Chaos Knight and his illusions while also draining his already low mana pool.
* Heroes who are reliant on illusions: Chaos Knight, Phantom Lancer, Naga Siren.
* Stampede can be used to free an ally from the grasp of Doom. Without any means of effective lockdown, kills can be difficult to secure when against an enemy Centaur Warrunner. Also, Centaur's tendency to have lots of health and HP regen tend to help counter Doom. Additional: * Whenever Doom casts his ultimate, Centaur Warrunner can cast Stampede and allow the Doomed hero to run away, wasting Doom's ultimate.
* Pangolier will proc Retaliate several times if he attempts to use Swashbuckle on Centaur Warrunner. * Centaur can cast Stampede to allow all of his allies to easily avoid Rolling Thunder. * Centaur's tankiness makes it hard for Pangolier to burst him down in the late game. Additional: * When Swashbuckle hits Centaur Warrunner, Retaliate will deal significant damage, as it procs off every strike made. * Stampede helps allies avoid or disengage from Pangolier during Rolling Thunder, as well as neutralizing the slow debuff from Lucky Shot.
* Stampede can help his teammates escape from Windrun and Focus Fire. * Retaliate will shred through Windranger's health if she chooses to attack him during Focus Fire. Additional: * Focus Fire grants Windranger a massive attack speed bonus, while her attack damage is generally quite low. This, combined with Windranger's low health pool and armor, makes Retaliate do absolutely massive damage over a short time, making Centaur a hero she can never expect to kill or harass. * Windrun grants evasion, but Centaur Warrunner does not rely on successful attacks in order to do damage. Hoof Stomp, Double Edge, and Stampede all do large amounts of magical damage and can completely demolish Windranger in a moment.
* Centaur's low Intelligence makes Mind Flare do low damage. * With some creative skill builds, Centaur's Hoof Stomp stun duration should always last longer than Spiked Carapace stun, so escaping unscathed is hard for Nyx. * With Blink Dagger and detection, Centaur can devastate Nyx in the open. * However, bear in mind that Nyx can also easily initiate on Centaur Warrunner as well if he uses Spiked Carapace in anticipation, and with Vendetta. The damage from Retaliate will be reflected back to Centaur Warrunner, stunning him with no chance to react after he's revealed himself, and should guarantee a successful Impale.
* Hoof Stomp and Double Edge makes short work of Phantom Lancer's illusions. * Retaliate together with Blade Mail reflects Phanton Lancer's damage and quickly destroys his illusions. Additional: * His illusions will kill themselves in a few hits because of Retaliate. The nukes from Hoof Stomp and Double-Edge should be enough to clear them for a large portion of the game * Centaur Warrunner's small mana pool makes Diffusal Blade's damage much lower once Centaur doesn't have any more mana left to burn. Keep in mind that Double Edge does not cost mana. * Be wary when chasing down Phantom Lancer. Hoof Stomp's terrible cast time makes it quite easy to dodge with Doppelganger.
* Centaur's Retaliate will harm all attacking enemies, which will allow Centaur Warrunner to see which is the real Naga Siren. * A well timed Hoof Stomp followed by Double Edge will clear all Naga's illusions and prevent Naga Siren from escaping with Song of the Siren.
* Lich's Chain Frost forces Io to either give up providing buff to his ally with Tether or suffer devastating damage with his tethered ally. * Lich can easily use Sinister Gaze to disable Io from getting away with Tether or Relocate.
* Chain Frost can deliver high amounts of damage to Lone itself and his bear if they do not separate fast from each other. Additional: * Chain Frost will bounce between Lone Druid and his bear, forcing them to separate or suffer high amounts of damage.
* As Terrorblade's damage output comes mainly from direct attacks, he will struggle greatly against heroes who have abilities that give evasion, trigger on attack or which can disarm an enemy hero: Centaur Warrunner, Hoodwink, Huskar, Invoker, Leshrac with Nihilism from Aghanim's Scepter, Lifestealer with Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Infest, Pangolier, Phantom Assassin, Pugna, Techies, Windranger etc.
* Axe, Bristleback, Centaur Warrunner, Spirit Breaker, Pudge, Huskar, Wraith King: These heroes are too tanky for Puck to burst down. Also, all of them have spells which can deal with and shut Puck down reliably.
* Heroes who have high health are a problem for Sniper because he likes to attack the closest target and sit at the back, much like a Terrorblade so when that hero doesn't die; he's forced to show his position for a very long time: Centaur Warrunner, Legion Commander, Primal Beast.
Additional: * Headshot and Shrapnel slow is ineffective against a team with haste (which Stampede gives). * Commonly picked up mobility items and hasted movement during his Stampede (as well as his high health pool) make him extremely hard to kill from a distance, damaging Sniper with Retaliate and Blade Mail if he has one. * A low health pool and no escape mechanism makes him an easy target for Centaur Warrunner's burst damage and initiation (even making his team possible initiators with Stampede).
* Phantom Assassin can easily escape Lich's slows with Phantom Strike. * Phantom Assassin's Coup De Grace can be used to burst down the squishy Lich.
* Hoof Stomp and Double Edge can often burst down Phantom Assassin from early to mid game. * Retaliate makes it very unlikely for Phantom Assassin to win the lane against Warrunner. Double Edge can also be used to wear her down, as she has a much smaller health pool than that of Centaur Warrunner until purchasing a Ring of Health. Stifling Dagger will also trigger Retaliate and Blur cannot evade Retaliate. * Centaur Warrunner's tankiness in combination with armour items that Centaur Warrunner often purchases like Blade Mail, Crimson Guard, Assault Cuirass and Shiva's Guard can make Phantom Assassin's attacks only tickle Centaur Warrunner. * Centaur Warrunner just has to be careful about Fan of Knives from Aghanim's Shard and Coup De Grace, as Fan of Knives can disable Retaliate even if Centaur Warrunner is spell immune. Additional: * Hoof Stomp and Double Edge can often burst down Phantom Assassin from early to mid game. * Retaliate makes it very unlikely for Phantom Assassin to win the lane against Warrunner. Double Edge can also be used to wear her down, as she has a much smaller health pool than that of Centaur Warrunner until purchasing a Ring of Health. Stifling Dagger will also trigger Retaliate and Blur cannot evade Retaliate. * Centaur Warrunner's tankiness in combination with armour items that Axe often purchases like Blade Mail, Crimson Guard, Assault Cuirass and Shiva's Guard can make Phantom Assassin's attacks only tickle Centaur Warrunner. * Centaur Warrunner just has to be careful about Fan of Knives from Aghanim's Shard and Coup De Grace, as Fan of Knives can disable Retaliate even if Centaur Warrunner is spell immune.
* Queen of Pain can easily escape Chain Frost thanks to Blink. * His low survivability makes an easy kill for Shadow Strike, Scream of Pain & Sonic Wave.
* A good Centaur can catch Queen of Pain with a Blink Dagger and Hoof Stomp. * Retaliate with Blade Mail reflects all of Queen of Pain's damage, especially Sonic Wave. * Stampede grants a movement speed bonus, which can prevent Queen of Pain from initiating. * Double Edge can shred her low health pool if she's not careful.
* Anti-Mage can withstand magical burst damage much better than other carries, making him effective against nukers: Lich, Necrophos, Oracle, and Leshrac.
Additional: * Although he can be effective against Anti-Mage in an aggro offlane, Lich has a hard time nuking down Anti-Mage in the midgame due to his Counterspell. * All of Lich's abilities are also targeted, which makes it much harder to disable Anti-Mage. * In the lategame, Anti-Mage can easily pick off Lich with Blink, and the high mana cost of Chain Frost along with Lich's large mana pool makes him vulnerable to Mana Void. * Blink allows Anti-Mage to escape Chain Frost.
* Anti-Mage's Mana Void won't do a lot of damage because Centaur has a low mana pool. Mana Break is also relatively ineffective against him.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.