* Lycan doesn't care much about Lich's slows thanks to Shapeshift. * Chain Frost can bounce to the wolves that Lycan summons. Additional: * Lich possesses a lot of slows, which Lycan doesn't care about when he Shapeshifts. * Lich has no in-built escape, which makes him a good target for Lycan.
* Void's slow is useless against Lycan by activating Shapeshift. * Night Stalker's single target abilities (with the exception of Void upgraded by Aghanim's Scepter) is not very effective against Lycan's Summon Wolves during the early and mid game.
* If Thirst activated, Lich doesn't slow Bloodseeker. * If he sees Chain Frost is targeting him, he can easily isolate himself with Thirst or forces Bloodseeker to build Blade Mail can cause Lich to accidentally kill himself with Chain Frost. * Even Lich builds Glimmer Cape or Force Staff are suicidal item against Bloodseeker when he is affected by Rupture.
* Bloodseeker's Rupture turns Night Stalker mobility against him and Thirst grants movement speed bonus and vision prevents Night Stalker from initiating and re-initiating.
* Lich is going to have a hard time nuking Huskar because of his high health regeneration from Berserker's Blood. * Lich is a squishy support without an escape mechanism, making Lich an easy kill thanks to Life Break and Burning Spear. * Once Huskar has Armlet of Mordiggian, even a maxed out Frost Blast will struggle to finish Huskar off.
* Ensnare and Song of the Siren prevents Night Stalker from escaping and ganking during daytime or even nighttime. * Rip Tide reduces Night Stalker's armor, making him easier to focus down. * Mirror Image can be effective against Night Stalker, due to his single target abilities. Additional: * Mirror Image can be effective since Night Stalker cannot withstand fighting illusions. If he's unable to tell which Naga Siren is real, he will have a hard time landing his Void. However, if Night Stalker obtains an Aghanim's Scepter, the upgraded Void will hit and may even locate the real Naga Siren in fights.
* Void's slow is dispelled by Doppelganger or counteracted by Phantom Rush. * Spirit Lance's and Diffusal Blade's slow reduces Night Stalker's mobility and helps him or his ally escape if they're inflicted by Void or Crippling Fear. * Night Stalker has no AoE abilites to take out Phantom Lancer's illusions. Even if Night Stalker gets an Aghanim's Scepter, there will be way too many illusions for Night Stalker to handle.
* Chain Frost can bounce to the treants that Nature's Prophet summons. * Nature's Prophet's Sprout can be used to isolate and burst down the squishy Lich. Additional: * His treants can prevent Chain Frost from jumping to Nature's Prophet or his allies.
* Warcry makes it difficult to burst Sven down with both the passive (with Aghanim's Shard) and active component. * Sven under the effect of God's Strength and his massive physical damage make Sven very dangerous to engage in the mid game.
* Heroes that depend on disrupting fights with ability combos or big ultimate abilities are vulnerable to the long stun of Fiend's Grip: Disruptor, Death Prophet, Enigma, Faceless Void, Invoker, Lich, Magnus, Mars, Medusa, Outworld Destroyer, Phoenix, Puck, Queen of Pain, Shadow Fiend, Treant Protector, Underlord, Winter Wyvern, Witch Doctor, Zeus.
* Lich does not pose a big threat to Zeus in teamfights, as his spells don't have great cast range and Zeus should be too far back for a Chain Frost to bounce among him and his allies. * Lich has a low health pool, allowing Zeus to burst him down quickly.
* Heroes with low mobility that rely on spells: Zeus, Lina, Crystal Maiden.
* Crippling Fear silences nearby heroes and cannot be dispelled, which hinders Rubick's way to retaliate when being jumped on. * With Hunter in the Night and Dark Ascension, Night Stalker can find Rubick easily in teamfights. The two spells grants more than enough damage to hunt Rubick down without defensive items.
* Dark Ascension also allows Night Stalker to fly over Proximity Mines without triggering them. * Crippling Fear is effective in stopping Techies from using Blast Off and Void is effective in stopping them from running to the safety of their mines.
* Crippling Fear is a silence that can last up to 8 seconds during night, rendering Storm Spirit tied limited to his items in a fight. * Dark Ascension allows Night Stalker to initiate on Storm Spirit across the impassable terrain around the middle lane, rendering Storm vulnerable in the early game and prevent him from snowballing. Additional: * Storm Spirit is absolutely helpless if caught within Night Stalker's silence range. * Common items a Storm Spirit will build will not remove the AoE silence.
* Void is a potent nuke that is devastating to Puck's low health pool. * Crippling Fear silence can prevent Puck from casting spells, leaving it vulnerable. Additional: * Puck cannot use any of its normal means to survive should Night Stalker catch it within Crippling Fear, and goes down quickly.
* Dark Ascension reduces vision for the enemy team, which makes it more difficult for Magnus to initiate with Blink Dagger and Reverse Polarity. It is also more likely that Night Stalker will scout out Magnus with Aghanim's Scepter and a Gem of True Sight, after which he can silence Magnus with Crippling Fear.
* The long silence of Crippling Fear at night prevents Mirana from escaping with Moonlight Shadow and Leap. She also has really low base health, so Night Stalker can usually kill her during one cast of Crippling Fear at night. * With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can find and kill Mirana, and he is a tanky hero capable of fighting Mirana any stage of the game.
* Void's mini-stun and silence from Crippling Fear will stop Pudge from using Dismember or turning off his Rot. * Night Stalker has naturally high health, strength gain and common itemization for survivability through magic resistance, making Night Stalker a poor target for Pudge.
* With Dark Ascension he can keep vision on Slark, disabling his Shadow Dance regeneration. * Night Stalker is very fast so without the Pounce in lane, he can simply out distance him during the night. * Slark is matched in night vision by only a few heroes, Night Stalker happens to be one of them.
* Keeper of the Light's Aghanim's Scepter upgrade loses much of its power, due to Night Stalker being able to reduce the duration of daytime by a lot. Additional: * Crippling Fear prevents Keeper of the Light from using his spells to keep his team alive during team-fights. * Dark Ascension is very strong against Keeper of the Light, as it allows Night Stalker to jump the backline and quickly kill the squishy Ezalor, especially when combined with the slow from Void.
* Void can be used to cancel Requiem of Souls. * Crippling Fear prevents Shadow Fiend from using Shadowraze or Requiem of Souls. * With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can find and kill Shadow Fiend easily. He is also a tanky hero that can fight Shadow Fiend at any stage of the game.
* Crippling Fear makes it so Axe might use Blink Dagger right into an AoE silence in the middle of everyone. * Void cripples Axe's already bad movement speed and attack speed. * Hunter in the Night makes it impossible for Axe to catch up to fleeing or escape from Night Stalker during the night. * Lastly, Dark Ascension gives full vision over Axe before he initiates, making the opponents all recognize his location immediately and allowing Night Stalker to prevent it or vocally tell his team if needed. * Night Stalker has very high strength gain, even in the lane, so a successful Culling Blade is very unlikely. * Axe's Blade Mail will likely do nothing to Night Stalker because of his high health and certain requirements for him to do the most damage to be true.
* Crippling Fear is a good way to shut down and gank Invoker in the early game.. * Void deals good damage to Invoker and makes escaping harder. * With Hunter in the Night and Void, Invoker can't get away from Night Stalker and won't be able to catch him with Sun Strike during the night.
* Night Stalker can easily find Tinker in the trees during Dark Ascension. * Void's mini-stun will stop Rearm and Keen Conveyance * Crippling Fear's silence will prevent Tinker from fighting back, as Tinker relies on his spells. Additional: * Night Stalker is one of the best heroes to find (and silence) Tinker in the trees during Dark Ascension.
* The long silence at night prevents Clinkz from escaping with invisibility if Night Stalker can sneak up on him. He also has really low base health, so Night Stalker can usually kill him alone during one cast of Crippling Fear at night.
* Lich's Chain Frost forces Io to either give up providing buff to his ally with Tether or suffer devastating damage with his tethered ally. * Lich can easily use Sinister Gaze to disable Io from getting away with Tether or Relocate.
* Chain Frost can deliver high amounts of damage to Lone itself and his bear if they do not separate fast from each other. Additional: * Chain Frost will bounce between Lone Druid and his bear, forcing them to separate or suffer high amounts of damage.
* Night Stalker's Crippling Fear at night prevents Shadow Walk for an extended period of time and his Void will make Phase Boots useless. If Night Stalker has True Sight, he can shutdown Bounty Hunter's sneak kill.
* Earthshaker must be careful not to use Blink Dagger or Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Enchant Totem to blink into Riki's Smoke Screen or Night Stalker's Crippling Fear, as these field effects will instantly silence Earthshaker and prevent him from initiating.
Additional: * Fissure has a short stun and creates an impassable ridge. However, Night Stalker can fly over it during Dark Ascension. * Night Stalker can find Earthshaker, disable his Blink Dagger with Void, and then take him out with Crippling Fear. * Earthshaker may fail his blink combo against Night Stalker's team if he is not careful, as he can blink into the silence.
* Heroes with mobility/escape mechanisms to dodge Ancient Apparition abilites, or to easily jump on him: Riki, Queen of Pain, Phantom Assassin, Windranger, Bounty Hunter, Spirit Breaker, Night Stalker, Storm Spirit, Juggernaut, etc.
* Phoenix turns night to day, overriding Dark Ascension during Supernova.
* Void can interrupt Icarus Dive. * His Crippling Fear's silence will shutdown a spell caster Phoenix. * However, Phoenix punishes Night Stalker with Supernova because it will turn night into day, and it has a higher priority than Dark Ascension, effectively canceling the passive bonuses Night Stalker gets from Hunter in the Night.
* Anti-Mage can withstand magical burst damage much better than other carries, making him effective against nukers: Lich, Necrophos, Oracle, and Leshrac.
Additional: * Although he can be effective against Anti-Mage in an aggro offlane, Lich has a hard time nuking down Anti-Mage in the midgame due to his Counterspell. * All of Lich's abilities are also targeted, which makes it much harder to disable Anti-Mage. * In the lategame, Anti-Mage can easily pick off Lich with Blink, and the high mana cost of Chain Frost along with Lich's large mana pool makes him vulnerable to Mana Void. * Blink allows Anti-Mage to escape Chain Frost.
* Crippling Fear makes Night Stalker one of the best early game gankers to shut down Anti-Mage. * Night Stalker's low mana pool causes him to take little damage from Mana Void.
* Queen of Pain can easily escape Chain Frost thanks to Blink. * His low survivability makes an easy kill for Shadow Strike, Scream of Pain & Sonic Wave.
* Night Stalker has a huge, almost instant silence through Crippling Fear. The main problem is that he can get it off while Queen of Pain barely has any vision of him if he creeps up to her during Dark Ascension. She'll have to play very carefully before she gets a Black King Bar or a Eul's Scepter of Divinity.
* Weaver doesn't care much about Lich's slows thanks to Shukuchi. * If he sees Chain Frost is targeting him, he can easily isolate himself with Shukuchi so that it stops bouncing around. * Unless Lich bursts Weaver immediately, Lich has no hard disables or silences to prevent him from using Time Lapse.
* The long silence of Crippling Fear at night prevents Weaver from using his Shukuchi or Time Lapse. * With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can easily find and probably kill Weaver. * Hunter In the Night's attack speed bonus removes The Swarm's beetles very quickly.
* Whirling Axes (Melee) provides a 60% miss chance, which can make the attack speed bonus from Hunter in the Night largely ineffective. * Berserker's Rage together with Battle Trance and Fervor stacks gives him a high chance of rooting Night Stalker, which allows Troll Warlord to man-fight Night Stalker in any stage of the game, regardless of whether or not it's night. * Night Stalker is not a common Monkey King Bar carrier to counteract this problem.
* Frost Blast and Chain Frost can kite Troll Warlord effectively. * Frost Shield can single-handedly waste most of the duration of Battle Trance, due to the extreme resistance to physical damage Frost Shield provides. In addition, Troll Warlord is incapable of switching targets during Battle Trance, so he cannot pick an easier target. * Troll Warlord has little to no ability to regenerate HP, so Frost Blast together with Frost Shield can harass him effectively.
* Chaos Bolt can stun Night Stalker outside of Crippling Fears relatively small radius. * Reality Rift is a great way to force Night Stalker to fight Chaos Knight, a hero with massive health and damage output. It also forces Night Stalker's Crippling Fear off his primary target. * Night Stalker doesn't have a lot of ways to deal with multiple targets, which makes him vulnerable to Phantasm illusions unless Night Stalker buys Aghanim's Scepter.
* Chain Frost can eliminate Chaos Knight's Phantasm army, especially after he clumped up using Reality Rift. * Frost Shield will heavily reduce his army's effectiveness. Additional: * Lich's Chain Frost, especially after obtaining its respective talent that provides unlimited bounces, can take out all of Chaos Knight's illusions quickly. * An Aghanim's Scepter-upgraded Sinister Gaze can hypnotize Chaos Knight and his illusions while also draining his already low mana pool.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.