* Lich does not pose a big threat to Zeus in teamfights, as his spells don't have great cast range and Zeus should be too far back for a Chain Frost to bounce among him and his allies. * Lich has a low health pool, allowing Zeus to burst him down quickly.
* Heroes with mediocre health pools who rely on armor or evasion to survive fights such as Troll Warlord, Windranger, and Terrorblade can be killed by Zeus if caught off guard.
* Heroes that depend on disrupting fights with ability combos or big ultimate abilities are vulnerable to the long stun of Fiend's Grip: Disruptor, Death Prophet, Enigma, Faceless Void, Invoker, Lich, Magnus, Mars, Medusa, Outworld Destroyer, Phoenix, Puck, Queen of Pain, Shadow Fiend, Treant Protector, Underlord, Winter Wyvern, Witch Doctor, Zeus.
* Low-health, normally mobile carries with a lot of damage are vulnerable to Bane's nukes and disables: Anti-Mage, Clinkz, Drow Ranger, Faceless Void, Gyrocopter, Juggernaut, Luna, Meepo, Mirana, Monkey King, Morphling, Phantom Assassin, Phantom Lancer, Riki, Shadow Fiend, Slark, Sniper, Terrorblade, Troll Warlord, Weaver.
Additional: * Nightmare and Fiend's Grip help to control/disable Troll Warlord in team-fights.
* Fate's Edict can disarm Troll, rendering him useless in a teamfight, especially if he has already used Battle Trance. * Fortune's End and Purifying Flames can provide ample magic damage to help burst down Troll Warlord quickly in the early to mid game. * False Promise can save an ally from Troll Warlord's initiation, forcing him to switch targets and lose his Fervor stacks, or waste time during Battle Trance.
* Chain Frost can bounce to the treants that Nature's Prophet summons. * Nature's Prophet's Sprout can be used to isolate and burst down the squishy Lich. Additional: * His treants can prevent Chain Frost from jumping to Nature's Prophet or his allies.
* Lycan doesn't care much about Lich's slows thanks to Shapeshift. * Chain Frost can bounce to the wolves that Lycan summons. Additional: * Lich possesses a lot of slows, which Lycan doesn't care about when he Shapeshifts. * Lich has no in-built escape, which makes him a good target for Lycan.
* Shadow Shaman's long disables are effective at kiting and wasting the duration of Battle Trance. * Mass Serpent Ward are especially effective against Troll Warlord during Battle Trance, as trapping him inside them during the duration is effectively another hard disable, as Troll cannot attack the wards or use Phase Boots to escape.
* Troll Warlord is very susceptible to Pierce the Veil due to having low health and reliance on high armor. * Troll Warlord's ultimate Battle Trance can simply be ignored by using Pierce the Veil. * Troll Warlord's Rampage buff for allies can easily be countered by The Calling which will lower their attack speeds back to normal.
* Weaver doesn't care much about Lich's slows thanks to Shukuchi. * If he sees Chain Frost is targeting him, he can easily isolate himself with Shukuchi so that it stops bouncing around. * Unless Lich bursts Weaver immediately, Lich has no hard disables or silences to prevent him from using Time Lapse.
* Troll Warlord's high attack speed means Counter Helix will proc extremely frequently even without creeps near him. This, combined with a Blade Mail means Axe can easily solo kill Troll Warlord even in later stages of the game. * Battle Trance does not save Troll Warlord from a Culling Blade. Additional: * Troll Warlord has significant attack speed due to Fervor and Battle Trance, giving Axe a higher chance to proc Counter Helix and seriously injure Troll Warlord due to his relatively low maximum health. * Axe often purchases Blade Mail, which can help Axe turn Troll Warlord's farm and high physical damage against him. The bonus armor provided by Berserker's Call means that Troll Warlord will take a lot more damage than Axe. * Culling Blade is still capable of killing Troll Warlord during Battle Trance if his HP is low enough.
* Troll Warlord can't switch targets at will, in order to build Fervor stacks, which makes it easy to use Decrepify in order to save allies * During Battle Trance, Pugna can easily use Nether Blast, Decrepify and Life Drain on him
* Dark Willow's burst damage and stun prevents Troll Warlord from approaching her until he has Black King Bar. * Troll Warlord's lack of burst damage makes it hard for him to kill Dark Willow before she slips into Shadow Realm.
* Cold Embrace can protect Troll Warlord's target, especially during Battle Trance. * Winter's Curse can turn Troll Warlord's high physical damage and attack speed against his allies. Additional: * Cold Embrace will protect your ally from being damaged if he gets focused by Troll, although be careful as Fervor will keep gaining stacks even while Cold Embrace is active. * Fervor works on allies. * His high attack speed will help to kill his cursed ally faster.
* Static Link is effective against Troll Warlord, as he mainly relies on attack speed more so than damage. * Static Link is even more effective if Troll Warlord used Battle Trance, as he has no way to break the link. Additional: * Static Link can drain most or all of Troll Warlord's damage, making him useless in a teamfight or unable to last hit in lane. This is especially effective during Battle Trance, because Troll has no option to cancel the link. * Storm Surge allows Razor to chase after or run away from Troll Warlord while doing damage with Eye of the Storm.
* Timber Chain can kite Troll Warlord extremely effectively. * Whirling Death and Chakram deals lots of damage to Troll Warlord. * Reactive Armor makes Timbersaw extremely resilient to Troll's attack damage and extreme attack speed, especially during Battle Trance.
* Clinkz, Sniper, Lone Druid, Troll Warlord, Legion Commander and Wraith King are some of the Heroes that base themselves on attacks with little or no spell power, so they suffer in the grassy hands of Overgrowth.
* Any heroes with low mana pools will die quickly or even instantly to Sanity's Eclipse: Doom, Phantom Assassin, Troll Warlord.
Additional: * Outworld Destroyer's pure damage from Arcane Orb is very effective at killing Troll Warlord quickly. * Astral Imprisonment removes Troll Warlord from a fight for four seconds, minimizing his contribution to a teamfight, and potentially wasting over half of Battle Trance's duration. * Troll Warlord gains a measly 1 intelligence point per level, meaning Sanity's Eclipse is especially effective, often instantly killing him.
* Heroes with high physical damage output but lack of reliable escape mechanisms are always a good target for a solo gank: Sniper, Shadow Fiend, Troll Warlord, Drow Ranger. Those heroes, however, are dangerous if they manage to close the gap, so take caution.
* Melee heroes who may struggle to get close to Sniper: Wraith King, Kunkka, Doom, Tidehunter, Underlord, Troll Warlord, and etc.
Additional: * Shrapnel and Headshot allows Sniper to kite Troll Warlord effectively. * Take Aim together with certain items such as Hurricane Pike allow Sniper to sit and fire at Troll Warlord from a safe distance.
* Frostbite can disarm and root Troll Warlord if he doesn't have a Black King Bar or a Manta Style to dispel it. * Crystal Nova and Freezing Field both significantly slow Troll Warlord, making him much more vulnerable to ganks or stuns. * The magical damage from Freezing Field does a large amount of AoE damage, and Troll Warlord is not capable of cancelling Crystal Maiden's channel.
* Heroes with a low attack speed or are fragile will find themselves unable to deal with Troll Warlord's high physical damage and attack speed, like Crystal Maiden or Sven.
* Heroes with nukes: Bane, Lich, Lion, Skywrath Mage
* Battle Trance and Fervor can help Troll Warlord deal with Encahntress through Untouchable. Additional: * Untouchable's attack speed slow is easily remedied by Fervor stacks and Battle Trance. * Troll Warlord is a natural Silver Edge carrier, disabling Enchantress' Untouchable.
* Supports who can slow him to the point Trample does very little damage in the lane are also not fun: Lich, Ogre Magi, Winter Wyvern.
* The ensnare from melee Berserker's Rage can prevent Primal Beast from dealing further Trample damage and can allow Troll Warlord to relentlessly build Fervor on him. * Whirling Axes (Ranged) can slow down Primal Beast while trampling and allow Troll Warlord to better control him from range. * Whirling Axes (Melee) can blind Primal Beast if he attempts to auto-attack Troll Warlord after a fully charged Uproar. * Battle Trance will make Primal Beast a sitting duck should he be rooted and attacked to death. However, using Pulverize after this can render Troll Warlords ultimate completely useless.
* Poof combo puts all of the Meepos very close together, making them vulnerable to Frost Blast's AoE slow and multiple bounces from Chain Frost.
* Troll Warlord can root and deal a lot of damage to a single Meepo while lifestealing through the assault from the other Meepos. Meepo needs expensive items like Ethereal Blade or Heaven's Halberd to be able to fight him.
* Terrorblade cannot go one on one against Troll Warlord as Troll Warlord will overwhelm him faster than the other way around thanks to Whirling Axes (Melee) that will cause his attacks to miss, and Fervor that can give Troll Warlord huge amounts of attack speed to outmatch Terrorblade, even during Metamorphosis. * Troll Warlord's high attack speed from Fervor combined with Skull Basher and Abyssal Blade means that Terrorblade will have almost no chance to use Sunder to save himself. * Even if Terroblade manages to use Sunder on Troll Warlord, Troll Warlord will simply be able to nullify it's effect with Battle Trance. * Overall, any attempt for Terrorblade to engage and kill Troll Warlord will hurt him more than the other way around. Additional: * Terrorblade cannot go one on one against Troll Warlord as Troll Warlord will overwhelm him faster than the other way around thanks to Whirling Axes (Melee) that will cause his attacks to miss, and Fervor that can give Troll Warlord huge amounts of attack speed to outmatch Terrorblade, even during Metamorphosis. * Troll Warlord's high attack speed from Fervor combined with Skull Basher and Abyssal Blade means that Terrorblade will have almost no chance to use Sunder to save himself. * Even if Terroblade manages to use Sunder on Troll Warlord, Troll Warlord will simply be able to nullify it's effect with Battle Trance.
* Troll Warlord's ability to attack as a ranged hero allows him to destroy Juggernaut's Healing Ward from afar. * Battle Trance, when activated during Omnislash, allows Troll Warlord to survive the full duration of Omnislash and retaliate once it is over.
* Generally speaking, Spectre is a strong teamfighter but a weak manfighter. She has no tool to deal with troll warlord once he has his sight locked on her. * Troll often buys Silver Edge and Monkey King Bar, which greatly countered Spectre's passive and item build (Silver Edge can disable passive while providing some damage, Monkey King Bar provides accuracy to counter Radiance and Butterfly miss chance). * Black King Bar allows troll to bypass the damage return from Blade mail should Spectre attempts to fight back Troll. However, Black King Bar is generally not very effective against Spectre as her skills can pierce the spell immunity. Still, it offers protection against Blade mail, a common item for Spectre in the mid game. * Troll has high lifesteal from Battle Trance and Satanic, which help him survive the damage from Desolate should the break duration is over. * Battle Trance and Fervor mean Spectre will have a hard time fighting troll and cannot take him down, even with equal farm.
* Whirling Axes (Melee)'s blind makes Sven nearly useless in the early game and allows Troll Warlord to take him on comfortably. * Battle Trance will mean Sven will never take Troll out in a 1vs1 with equal farm. Additional: * Berserker's Rage together with Troll Warlord's high attack speed gives Troll a high chance of rooting enemies, which allows Troll Warlord to man-fight Sven. * Whirling Axes (Melee) provides a 60% miss chance, and the passive armor provided by Berserker's Rage makes Troll resilient to physical damage in early game. Sven's God's Strength is much less effective as a result. * Beware that Sven can farm much faster than Troll Warlord by stacking ancients and clearing them with Great Cleave.
* Due to Fervor and Battle Trance, Troll Warlord has a significant attack speed, enabling him to crush Tombstone quickly. * Undying usually stays at the front line with no disables, making him an easy target for Troll Warlord.
* Lich's Chain Frost forces Io to either give up providing buff to his ally with Tether or suffer devastating damage with his tethered ally. * Lich can easily use Sinister Gaze to disable Io from getting away with Tether or Relocate.
* Chain Frost can deliver high amounts of damage to Lone itself and his bear if they do not separate fast from each other. Additional: * Chain Frost will bounce between Lone Druid and his bear, forcing them to separate or suffer high amounts of damage.
* Any hero with high attack speed will be a threat to Phoenix when it initiates, as they can easily tear down a Supernova, perhaps even while debuffed by Fire Spirits: Juggernaut, Clinkz, Troll Warlord, Beastmaster, Lina.
Additional: * Due to Fervor and Battle Trance, Troll Warlord is one of the best heroes to deal with Supernova.
* Heroes who build Black King Bar as either core or situational item will be able to fight back against Nyx Assassin and freely attack him as Spiked Carapace cannot pierce spell immunity at all: Axe, Broodmother, Dawnbreaker, Enigma, Huskar, Jakiro, Legion Commander, Lina, Luna, Lycan, Slardar, Slark, Troll Warlord, Witch Doctor.
* Anti-Mage can withstand magical burst damage much better than other carries, making him effective against nukers: Lich, Necrophos, Oracle, and Leshrac.
Additional: * Although he can be effective against Anti-Mage in an aggro offlane, Lich has a hard time nuking down Anti-Mage in the midgame due to his Counterspell. * All of Lich's abilities are also targeted, which makes it much harder to disable Anti-Mage. * In the lategame, Anti-Mage can easily pick off Lich with Blink, and the high mana cost of Chain Frost along with Lich's large mana pool makes him vulnerable to Mana Void. * Blink allows Anti-Mage to escape Chain Frost.
* Troll Warlord's passive root, high attack speed, and blind from Whirling Axes makes him an exceedingly difficult opponent for Anti-Mage to take down in a one-on-one fight. * Troll Warlord's low mana causes him to take little damage from Mana Void. Additional: * Whirling Axes (Melee) provides a 60% miss chance, preventing Anti-Mage from burning Troll Warlord's small mana pool. * Troll Warlord's passive root allows him to very effectively fight an Anti-Mage by preventing Anti-Mage from Blinking away. This is even more effective when combined with a Skull Basher or Abyssal Blade. * Counterspell will do nothing to prevent Troll Warlord's high physical damage. * Due to Troll Warlord's abysmal base intelligence and intelligence gain, he is one of the worst targets to use Mana Void on.
* With Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Infest, Lifestealer can use it on enemy heroes to attack them and disarm them from inside, even if they are spell immune, which can give him the edge over the heroes he's weak against like Ursa, Phantom Assassin, Terrorblade or Troll Warlord.
* Lifestealer is a susceptible target to Fervor due to his non-mobile nature and lack of disables. Troll Warlord's ranged Berserker's Rage can also be used to kite Lifestealer safely. The root from its melee form also pierces magic immunity, which can potentially keep Lifestealer in place even while he is in Rage. * Both Whirling Axes (melee) and Whirling Axes (ranged) can force Lifestealer to cast Rage too quickly and allow Troll Warlord to change strategies mid-fight, especially thanks to their separate cooldowns. * Battle Trance allows Troll Warlord to survive Lifestealer's Feast and turn the fight in his favor. Additional: * The passive armor provided by Berserker's Rage makes Troll Warlord resilient to Feast in early game. * The 60% miss chance given by Whirling Axes (Melee) is useful when Rage is not active. * Battle Trance can purge Open Wounds, negating a large amount of Lifestealer's sustain in fights.
* Heroes with low health: Lich, Crystal Maiden, Lion.
* Whirling Axes (Melee) provides a 60% miss chance, which can make the attack speed bonus from Hunter in the Night largely ineffective. * Berserker's Rage together with Battle Trance and Fervor stacks gives him a high chance of rooting Night Stalker, which allows Troll Warlord to man-fight Night Stalker in any stage of the game, regardless of whether or not it's night. * Night Stalker is not a common Monkey King Bar carrier to counteract this problem.
* Phantasm gives Chaos Knight a significant advantage against single-target damage dealers: Lifestealer, Wraith King, Night Stalker, Troll Warlord.
Additional: * Chaos Knight's tanky illusions easily take advantage of Troll Warlord's lack of AoE damage. * Chaos Bolt can stun Troll for up to 4 seconds and Reality Rift prevents Troll Warlord from chasing down foes. * Phantasm increases Chaos Knight's physical damage output up to 4 times and can easily kill Troll Warlord before he has a chance to use Battle Trance or a Black King Bar.
* Lich's Chain Frost, especially after obtaining its respective talent that provides unlimited bounces, can take out all of Chaos Knight's illusions quickly. * An Aghanim's Scepter-upgraded Sinister Gaze can hypnotize Chaos Knight and his illusions while also draining his already low mana pool. Additional: * Chain Frost can eliminate Chaos Knight's Phantasm army, especially after he clumped up using Reality Rift. * Frost Shield will heavily reduce his army's effectiveness.
* If Thirst activated, Lich doesn't slow Bloodseeker. * If he sees Chain Frost is targeting him, he can easily isolate himself with Thirst or forces Bloodseeker to build Blade Mail can cause Lich to accidentally kill himself with Chain Frost. * Even Lich builds Glimmer Cape or Force Staff are suicidal item against Bloodseeker when he is affected by Rupture.
* Berserker's Rage will repeatedly trap Bloodseeker in a one-on-one fight. * Whirling Axes (Melee) blinds Bloodseeker, causing him to miss 60% of the time, and therefore reduces his ability to gain the upper hand in teamfights.
* Vulnerable spellcasters with no escape mechanisms are easy targets for Huskar: Lich, Crystal Maiden, Silencer, Keeper of the Light, Venomancer, etc.
Additional: * Lich is going to have a hard time nuking Huskar because of his high health regeneration from Berserker's Blood. * Lich is a squishy support without an escape mechanism, making Lich an easy kill thanks to Life Break and Burning Spear. * Once Huskar has Armlet of Mordiggian, even a maxed out Frost Blast will struggle to finish Huskar off.
* Carries that can out damage Huskar will do well against him: Legion Commander, Faceless Void, Troll Warlord, Phantom Assassin.
Additional: * Whirling Axes (Melee) provides a 60% miss chance, resulting in Huskar's attacks missing a lot of the time if it isn't dispelled. * Troll Warlord's Fervor ramps up in a very similar way as Huskar's Berserker's Blood: as soon as Huskar has high enough health regeneration, Troll Warlord has a high enough attack speed to negate it.
* Phantom Assassin can easily escape Lich's slows with Phantom Strike. * Phantom Assassin's Coup De Grace can be used to burst down the squishy Lich.
* Whirling Axes (Melee) makes it hard for Phantom Assassin to land a Coup De Grace. * Troll Warlord often buys Silver Edge and Monkey King Bar, the items that greatly help against Phantom Assassin's Blur ability. * Battle Trance completely negates Phantom Assassin's large damage output, preventing Troll Warlord from dying easily. The lifesteal also allows Troll Warlord to restore much of his health. Additional: * Troll Warlord can build a Silver Edge or a Monkey King Bar to completely ignore Blur. * Whirling Axes (Melee) provides a 60% miss chance, making a Coup de Grace critical strike very hard to land. * Battle Trance negates Coup de Grace, preventing Troll Warlord from dying to her critical hits.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.