* Guardian Angel completely negates all of Lycan's damage since Lycan mainly deals physical damage. * Purification can also be a problem for Lycan, as Purification deals damage around the target, which poses a problem for him and his summons.
* Heavenly Grace reduces Fireblast stun time and dispels Ignite. * Purification can heal damaged heroes if needed.
* Arctic Burn allows Winter Wyvern to escape Lycan, even when he uses his ultimate. * Splinter Blast is very effective in dealing with Lycan's summons. * Cold Embrace saves allies from Lycan's raw physical damage and can buy allies enough time to turn the tide of battle. * Winter's Curse stops Lycan in his tracks and is very effective because of his summons. Additional: * All of Lycan's damage is physical which is totally negated by Cold Embrace. * Lycan often moves around with large amount of creeps, wolves created by Summon Wolves and neutral creep dominated by Helm of the Dominator which can be easily cleared by Splinter Blast or used as a great source of damage by Winter's Curse. If you catch Lycan with creeps nearby and affected by Shapeshift using Winter's Curse on him will most certainly end up with his death.
* Winter Wyvern's Winter's Curse works very well against the increased attack speed from Bloodlust.
* Tidebringer's cleave will cripple any of his summons. * Could potentially build Heaven's Halberd to cripple Lycan even more. Additional: * Tidebringer can be used to kill Lycan's summons. * Can also build into Heaven's Halberd which will disable Lycan's auto attacks, crippling him even more.
* Fate's Edict gives full immunity from Ogre Magi's mostly magical damage. * Fortune's End can dispel Ignite (when used on allies) and Bloodlust (when used on enemies). * False Promise can dispel Ignite and Fireblast.
* Ogre Magi only deals magical damage, which Anti-Mage is exceptionally resistant due to Counterspell. * Anti-Mage dispels Ignite with Manta Style. * Ogre Magi has a very large mana pool which means Anti-Mage can do large amounts of damage to him with Mana Break and Mana Void. Additional: * Anti-Mage can kite Ogre Magi who has low mobility by Blink and his intelligence gain and build making Mana Void deal more damage. * Counterspell well timed makes harass Fireblast and Ignite.
* Undying saps strength from heroes with Decay, and Ogre Magi's high strength gain will allow Undying to steal more and more strength, becoming stronger with each use. * Due to the Strength steal from Decay, Undying is normally very tanky, and has high health, making it harder for Ogre Magi to kill him.
* Lycan's wolves deal little damage to Bristleback, and are easily killed by Quill Spray, even when they're invisible. * Lycan's lack of burst damage makes it very hard for him to kill Bristleback, especially when his back is turned. Additional: * Quill Spray can be used to kill Lycan's summons. * Bristleback allows him to stay alive against Lycan while dishing out counter attacks * He can overpower Lycan with his Warpath instead.
* Rupture completely negates Lycan's high mobility. * All of Lycan's summons are good sources of healing with Bloodrage. Additional: * Rupture completely negates Lycan's high mobility. * All of Lycan's summons are good sources of healing with Bloodrage.
* Brewmaster can waste a large portion of Lycan's ultimate by putting him in Cyclone. * Lycan has no way to stop Brewmaster from using Primal Split by himself. * Lycan's team often tries to push towers as a group, and Brewmaster excels at winning teamfights while trying to defend a tower.
* Can cast Demonic Conversion on one of Lycan's Wolves, making this a numbers fight. * Malefice will greatly reduce his ability to engage * Midnight Pulse can steep an area making it harder for Lycan to engage in.
* Her Mana Shield is too tough for Lycan to break. * Mystic Snake can hit for a massive damage once it spread between his summons. Additional: * Can be easily petrified despite his speed. * Summoned wolves will be targeted by Split Shot or Mystic Snake
* Treant Protector grants protection against his attacks with Living Armor and his ultimate, Overgrowth is a massive AoE disarm and root that pierces spell immunity, causing trouble to Lycan. You will find yourself in need of an ally's dispel or forced to pop Black King Bar for its dispel.
Additional: * Lycan has no kind of teleport, being only able to walk, and heavily relies on his attacks. As Overgrowth roots and disarms the targets, Lycan can't do much in an overgrowth field.
* Jakiro's area-of-effect abilities make him strong against heroes who rely on illusions and summons: Terrorblade, Naga SirenChaos Knight, Phantom Lancer, Broodmother, Nature's Prophet, Lycan, Wraith King, Visage.
* Heroes who rely heavily on melee attacks and lack early spell immunity are easily blocked and interrupted by Ink Swell: Lycan, Ursa, Troll Warlord.
Additional: * Stroke of Fate deals more damage when it hits more targets which makes it very effective in dealing with Lycan and his units. * Soulbind prevents Lycan from running away and makes him very easy to deal with.
* Melee heroes who rely on summons, illusions, or clones will trigger Counter Helix more often, thus taking more damage: Meepo, Lycan, Phantom Lancer
Additional: * Berserker's Call can keep Lycan in place during his Shapeshift even through Black King Bar. * Counter Helix is very effective against Lycan because of his summons. * Culling Blade will prevent Lycan from running away with Shapeshift when he drops low.
* Lifestealer's Rage makes him immune to all of Ogre's magical debuffs and also dispels them. * Ogre's high health pool makes him an ideal target for Feast. Additional: * Ogre Magi has nothing against Rage and his high health pool amplifies Feast.
* Heroes with summons: Lycan, Broodmother, Visage, Nature's Prophet, Warlock.
* Lycan relies heavily on right clicks making Untouchable very effective against him. * If he tries to run away Impetus will do huge amounts of damage. Additional: * She can Enchant one of the wolves to her side. * Lycan will struggle greatly to harm Enchantress through her Untouchable which can seriously slow down Lycan's attack speed even if Lycan is spell immune.
* Heroes with haste can negate Enchant's slow: Weaver, Dark Seer, Lycan, Centaur Warrunner.
* Multiple attackers thanks to summoned units or clones: Meepo, Witch Doctor, Lycan, Enigma, Shadow Shaman * Heroes that can quickly deal damage to her, regardless of how weak they are, can easily break through her Refraction: * Multiple attackers thanks to summoned units or clones: Meepo, Witch Doctor, Lycan, Enigma, Shadow Shaman * Multiple attackers thanks to illusions: Phantom Lancer, Chaos Knight, Naga Siren (bonus for her Ensnare). Also despite the visual effects, Templar Assassin does not spill damage against illusions or buildings, so she is not a really good hero to clean up illusions. * Weak damage but high tick rate or persist in a long time: Slark, Gyrocopter, Queen of Pain, Shadow Shaman (Shackles), Jakiro, Pugna, Doom
* The damage block instances of Refraction can be burned down with Ignite. * Fire Shield effectively reduces the burst damage from a Meld-charged ambush from Templar Assassin, provided the spell is cast beforehand.
* Heroes with both illusions and summons, for Io has nothing to deal with multiple enemies at once outside from Spirits's weak area-of-effect: Beastmaster, Broodmother, Chaos Knight, Lycan, Naga Siren, Nature's Prophet, Phantom Lancer, Shadow Shaman, Terrorblade, Visage, Warlock, Wraith King.
* Fireblast is a good tool to interrupt Io during its escapes through Tether. * Ignite can be one of the few spells with enough total damage to out-trade the sustained healing Io provides for its fellow laner. * However, picking other supports that focus less on the laning phase is generally a better choice against Io.
* It is difficult for Mars to trade blows with Ogre Magi in the early game thanks to his high base health, resistance and Ignite. * Bloodlust can assist Ogre Magi or an ally in repositioning against Mars for its move speed bonus. * Fireblast can interrupt and mitigate Mars from performing his skill combos, especially in combination with Multicast.
* He can send wolves to defuse Proximity Mines, and he can catch up Techies and kill him before they can deny themselves. Even if the suicide is successful, Lycan can still survive because of his tankiness.
* Shapeshift allows Lycan to get close and disable Marksmanship. * Shapeshift also makes him immune to slows like Drow Ranger's Frost Arrows. Additional: * The Wolves's speed causes the knockback from Gust to be ineffective. * Drow Ranger lacks escapes and loses her Marksmanship when someone is near her. Lycan can take advantage of these weaknesses of Drow Ranger.
* Lycan's ultimate makes him immune to slows from Ursa's Earthshock as well as allowing him to outmaneuver Ursa during Enrage. Lycan can also easily chase down Ursa while shapeshifted, should Ursa try to flee.
* A well-timed Fireblast with Multicast can prevent Weaver from escaping with Shukuchi and even Time Lapse. * Ignite's high damage early on applies heavy pressure onto Weaver's very small health pool. * However, the slow from Ignite is generally useless against Shukuchi, and Time Lapse dispels it if needed.
* Howl reduces a good chunk of Marci's attack damage that she relies heavily on, and the armor reduction works better on her because of her low armor. * Shapeshift renders Lycan immune to slow from Rebound and Unleash.
* Lycan doesn't care much about Lich's slows thanks to Shapeshift. * Chain Frost can bounce to the wolves that Lycan summons. Additional: * Lich possesses a lot of slows, which Lycan doesn't care about when he Shapeshifts. * Lich has no in-built escape, which makes him a good target for Lycan.
* Shapeshift increases Lycan's movement speed and renders him unslowable, allowing him to easily avoid and escape Ancient Apparition's abilities. * Lycan has fast summons, both his wolves from Summon Wolves can do heavy damage to Ancient Apparition due to his immobility and low armor.
* Void's slow is useless against Lycan by activating Shapeshift. * Night Stalker's single target abilities (with the exception of Void upgraded by Aghanim's Scepter) is not very effective against Lycan's Summon Wolves during the early and mid game.
* Lycan's high health allows him to easily shrug off Nyx Assassin's burst damage and fend him off. * As Lycan commonly buys Black King Bar, he can use it to freely attack Nyx Assassin and chase after him with Shapeshift.
* The movement speed granted from Shapeshift means that Spectre has no way to punish Lycan if he wants to splitpush or pick off supports. Furthermore, he will kite Haunt and cannot be slowed by Spectral Dagger. * Lycan is often part of an early game push strategy which is often the best counter to Spectre because she needs a lot of time and space to come online as a late game carry.
* Lycan can clear waves of Chen's creeps with his wolves from Summon Wolves, especially once Lycan takes +2 Wolves summoned talent. And even though Chen can convert one of his wolves with Holy Persuasion, Lycan can counter this by buying Helm of the Overlord to regain control of it. Uncontrollable wolves summoned from Aghanim's Shard upgrade Summon Wolves cannot be converted with Holy Persuasion. * Shapeshift allows him to chase down Chen and kill him easily. * Howl can reduce attack damage of both, Chen and his creeps.
* Heroes who can summon illusions and summons because Terrorblade has no abilities to deal with multiple enemies at once outside Reflection: Shadow Shaman, Naga Siren, Broodmother, Lycan, Enigma, Chaos Knight, Phantom Lancer, Shadow Demon, Dark Seer, Nature's Prophet, Invoker, Morphling, Visage, Grimstroke with Aghanim's Scepter.
* Arc Warden's Tempest Double is helpful for killing Ogre Magi who lacks AoE damage and disables.
* Magnetic Field is useless against melee heroes, so Lycan can attack Arc Warden without missing. * Flux doesn't affect Lycan that much, because Shapeshift grants immunity to slows and because he is never alone. * If their Tempest Double has been called, Lycan can still kill Arc Warden before the double expires.
* Lycan's Shapeshift can easily to catch from Spirit Breaker's with Charge of Darkness. Additional: * Vision from Charge of Darkness will easier to catch Lycan Shapeshift and Charge of Darkness out of reach Lycan Summon Wolves and Lycan's other creeps. Until upgrade Aghanim's Scepter faster catching Lycan Shapeshift * Howl can dispell with Bulldoze.
* Heroes with summons and illusions as Spirit Breaker has no strong AoE capabilities to deal with them: Chaos Knight, Phantom Lancer, Terrorblade, Naga Siren, Broodmother, Warlock, Visage, Nature's Prophet, Shadow Shaman, Lycan.
* Heroes that can cancel Charge of Darkness: Ogre Magi, Earthshaker, Lion, Rubick, Luna.
* Great Cleave will kill Lycan's summons very rapidly. * Warcry will allow Sven and his allies to tank Lycan's damage, which is mainly physical. * Storm Hammer will damage and stun Lycan's as well as his summons.
* Multicast Fireblasts over the course of fights are a decent nuisance to stall Sven's massive damage output. * Bloodlust and Ignite gives Ogre Magi's team the movement speed difference needed to chase and/or disengage against a Sven and his Warcry. * Ignite provides strong damage over time to pressure Sven early on in the laning phase and keep his health low, delaying his transition into the jungle. Ignite is also an easy way to disrupt Blink Dagger, Sven's most popular way of initiation. * Ogre Magi's presence in the laning phase both in terms of damage and durability keeps high pressure on Sven in lane. * Purchasing an Aghanim's Shard allows Ogre Magi to greatly reduce the burst damage of Sven, who tends to build items focused on damage per hit instead of attack speed.
* Heroes who rely on physical damage output to be effective will fare badly against Muerta's Pierce the Veil: Phantom Assassin, Terrorblade, Drow Ranger, Lifestealer, Anti-Mage, Alchemist, Lycan, Clinkz, Sniper.
* Heroes that commonly attack ethereal units will not have any problems against Muerta's Pierce The Veil: Tinker, Jakiro, Lina, Luna, Pugna or Ogre Magi.
* A well landed Fissure can potentially take Lycan out of the fight for several seconds, who heavily relies on precious seconds from Black king bar and Shapeshift to fight. * Aftershock reduces the effectiveness of his summons and can prove quite irritating for Lycan. * Echo Slam is very powerful with the sheer amount of Lycan's units and will cause him to think twice when pushing towers.
* Ignite can prevent Earthshaker from escaping and/or initiating with Blink Dagger. * Fireblast and Unrefined Fireblast may help prevent Earthshaker follow through with his combo after landing an Echo Slam.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.