* Void's slow is dispelled by Doppelganger or counteracted by Phantom Rush. * Spirit Lance's and Diffusal Blade's slow reduces Night Stalker's mobility and helps him or his ally escape if they're inflicted by Void or Crippling Fear. * Night Stalker has no AoE abilites to take out Phantom Lancer's illusions. Even if Night Stalker gets an Aghanim's Scepter, there will be way too many illusions for Night Stalker to handle.
* Phantom Lancer's many illusions will easily destroy Tombstone, provided he has sufficient farm. * He also has no ways of dealing with the illusions, since Decay doesn't steal strength from illusions.
* Whirling Axes (Melee) provides a 60% miss chance, which can make the attack speed bonus from Hunter in the Night largely ineffective. * Berserker's Rage together with Battle Trance and Fervor stacks gives him a high chance of rooting Night Stalker, which allows Troll Warlord to man-fight Night Stalker in any stage of the game, regardless of whether or not it's night. * Night Stalker is not a common Monkey King Bar carrier to counteract this problem.
* Due to Fervor and Battle Trance, Troll Warlord has a significant attack speed, enabling him to crush Tombstone quickly. * Undying usually stays at the front line with no disables, making him an easy target for Troll Warlord.
* Chaos Bolt can stun Night Stalker outside of Crippling Fears relatively small radius. * Reality Rift is a great way to force Night Stalker to fight Chaos Knight, a hero with massive health and damage output. It also forces Night Stalker's Crippling Fear off his primary target. * Night Stalker doesn't have a lot of ways to deal with multiple targets, which makes him vulnerable to Phantasm illusions unless Night Stalker buys Aghanim's Scepter.
* Chaos Knight's multiple illusions from Phantasm can destroy Undying, as Soul Rip can't offset the damage from the high amount of damage from his illusions.
* Heroes that can punish aggressive heroes, such as: Leshrac, Shadow Demon, Pugna, Death Prophet.
* Death Prophet is able to Silence Undying up to 6 seconds. Besides, due to Undying's high strength during a team fight, Spirit Siphon is a powerful ability against Undying thanks to the percentage health drain.
* Ensnare and Song of the Siren prevents Night Stalker from escaping and ganking during daytime or even nighttime. * Rip Tide reduces Night Stalker's armor, making him easier to focus down. * Mirror Image can be effective against Night Stalker, due to his single target abilities. Additional: * Mirror Image can be effective since Night Stalker cannot withstand fighting illusions. If he's unable to tell which Naga Siren is real, he will have a hard time landing his Void. However, if Night Stalker obtains an Aghanim's Scepter, the upgraded Void will hit and may even locate the real Naga Siren in fights.
* Void's slow is useless against Lycan by activating Shapeshift. * Night Stalker's single target abilities (with the exception of Void upgraded by Aghanim's Scepter) is not very effective against Lycan's Summon Wolves during the early and mid game.
* Necrophos is a dangerous opponent to go against with. Regardless of how much strength Undying has gained from Decay, Necrophos can finish off Undying with Reaper's Scythe once Undying's HP falls below a certain threshold. * Heartstopper Aura will do more damage to Undying if he gained strength from Decay, as it does damage based on a hero's maximum health.
* Lifestealer is able to endure Undying, especially in the laning phase, where Undying is strongest. Feast can offset Decay's strength steal for its percentage lifesteal. Rage delays Undying from stealing strength and can help Lifestealer destroy Undying's Tombstone uninterrupted. As well, none of Undying's abilities pierce magic immunity.
* Luna's Moon Glaives and Lunar Blessing can help her destroy Tombstone easily, and this becomes more effective if Luna is equipped with Manta Style. * Spell Immunity of Zombies from Tombstone is a total disadvantage against Luna because Eclipse will strike only Undying, which can turn Undying's own ability against him. * Though Undying often builds Blade Mail which can turn Luna's burst damage against her, Luna often builds Black King Bar which will allow her to attack Undying freely because Blade Mail cannot pierce spell immunity. Additional: * Luna's Moon Glaives and Lunar Blessing can help her destroy Tombstone easily, and this becomes more effective if Luna is equipped with Manta Style. * Spell Immunity of Zombies from Tombstone is a total disadvantage against Luna because Eclipse will strike only Undying, which can turn Undying's own ability against him. * Though Undying often builds Blade Mail which can turn Luna's burst damage against her, Luna often builds Black King Bar which will allow her to attack Undying freely because Blade Mail cannot pierce spell immunity.
* Arcane Curse can effectively discourage Undying from casting his spammable abilities in a team fight, as Undying will have to suffer more damage and the slow due to the penalty duration of Arcane Curse. * Last Word and Global Silence are able to silence Undying for up to 6 seconds, preventing Undying from gaining strength and healing his ally or himself.
* Tidehunter takes close to no damage from Undying's zombies once he maxes out his Kraken Shell, especially if he gets the level 20 Kraken Shell upgrading talent. This might allow him to blink away to safety.
* In general, melee heroes without blink mechanisms or spell immunity will have a hard time positioning against Pit of Malice: Sven, Tiny, Wraith King, Dragon Knight, Meepo, Doom, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Undying, Alchemist, Legion Commander.
* Zombies summoned from Tombstone will amplify the damage of Echo Slam due to them increasing the echo damage.
* Earthshaker must be careful not to use Blink Dagger or Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Enchant Totem to blink into Riki's Smoke Screen or Night Stalker's Crippling Fear, as these field effects will instantly silence Earthshaker and prevent him from initiating.
Additional: * Fissure has a short stun and creates an impassable ridge. However, Night Stalker can fly over it during Dark Ascension. * Night Stalker can find Earthshaker, disable his Blink Dagger with Void, and then take him out with Crippling Fear. * Earthshaker may fail his blink combo against Night Stalker's team if he is not careful, as he can blink into the silence.
* Void's mini-stun and silence from Crippling Fear will stop Pudge from using Dismember or turning off his Rot. * Night Stalker has naturally high health, strength gain and common itemization for survivability through magic resistance, making Night Stalker a poor target for Pudge.
* Heroes that have a weak laning stage: Spectre, Nyx Assassin, Clockwerk, Spirit Breaker, Omniknight, Pudge.
* Due to Spirit Breaker's low attack speed, Tombstone is problematic for Spirit Breaker as the zombies summoned from Tombstone apply a stacking movement speed slow, which can significantly reduce Greater Bash's damage. * Soul Rip and Decay allows Undying and his allies to survive and recover from any incoming ganks by Spirit Breaker.
* Heroes that have a weak laning stage: Spectre, Nyx Assassin, Clockwerk, Spirit Breaker, Omniknight, Pudge.
* Spectre must chase for kills and relies on movement speed for mobility in fights, and has no way to counter the Tombstone zombies. * The potency of Soul Rip can be increased from nearby illusions from Haunt. * Decay will shut down Spectre during the laning phase by effectively cutting down her initial health pool. Additional: * Spectre must chase for kills and relies on movement speed for mobility in fights, and has no way to counter the Tombstone zombies. * The potency of Soul Rip can be increased from nearby illusions, so Undying can use Haunt against Spectre. * Early game Decay will make Spectre easy to shut down in lane.
* Dark Ascension also allows Night Stalker to fly over Proximity Mines without triggering them. * Crippling Fear is effective in stopping Techies from using Blast Off and Void is effective in stopping them from running to the safety of their mines.
* Crippling Fear is a silence that can last up to 8 seconds during night, rendering Storm Spirit tied limited to his items in a fight. * Dark Ascension allows Night Stalker to initiate on Storm Spirit across the impassable terrain around the middle lane, rendering Storm vulnerable in the early game and prevent him from snowballing. Additional: * Storm Spirit is absolutely helpless if caught within Night Stalker's silence range. * Common items a Storm Spirit will build will not remove the AoE silence.
* Void is a potent nuke that is devastating to Puck's low health pool. * Crippling Fear silence can prevent Puck from casting spells, leaving it vulnerable. Additional: * Puck cannot use any of its normal means to survive should Night Stalker catch it within Crippling Fear, and goes down quickly.
* Dark Ascension reduces vision for the enemy team, which makes it more difficult for Magnus to initiate with Blink Dagger and Reverse Polarity. It is also more likely that Night Stalker will scout out Magnus with Aghanim's Scepter and a Gem of True Sight, after which he can silence Magnus with Crippling Fear.
* Keeper of the Light's Aghanim's Scepter upgrade loses much of its power, due to Night Stalker being able to reduce the duration of daytime by a lot. Additional: * Crippling Fear prevents Keeper of the Light from using his spells to keep his team alive during team-fights. * Dark Ascension is very strong against Keeper of the Light, as it allows Night Stalker to jump the backline and quickly kill the squishy Ezalor, especially when combined with the slow from Void.
* With Dark Ascension he can keep vision on Slark, disabling his Shadow Dance regeneration. * Night Stalker is very fast so without the Pounce in lane, he can simply out distance him during the night. * Slark is matched in night vision by only a few heroes, Night Stalker happens to be one of them.
* Void can be used to cancel Requiem of Souls. * Crippling Fear prevents Shadow Fiend from using Shadowraze or Requiem of Souls. * With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can find and kill Shadow Fiend easily. He is also a tanky hero that can fight Shadow Fiend at any stage of the game.
* Night Stalker has a huge, almost instant silence through Crippling Fear. The main problem is that he can get it off while Queen of Pain barely has any vision of him if he creeps up to her during Dark Ascension. She'll have to play very carefully before she gets a Black King Bar or a Eul's Scepter of Divinity.
* Crippling Fear makes it so Axe might use Blink Dagger right into an AoE silence in the middle of everyone. * Void cripples Axe's already bad movement speed and attack speed. * Hunter in the Night makes it impossible for Axe to catch up to fleeing or escape from Night Stalker during the night. * Lastly, Dark Ascension gives full vision over Axe before he initiates, making the opponents all recognize his location immediately and allowing Night Stalker to prevent it or vocally tell his team if needed. * Night Stalker has very high strength gain, even in the lane, so a successful Culling Blade is very unlikely. * Axe's Blade Mail will likely do nothing to Night Stalker because of his high health and certain requirements for him to do the most damage to be true.
* Undying's Decay is a dangerous ability against Bristleback, as it makes him more vulnerable and reduces his tankiness. * Undying's Tombstone together with Flesh Golem can slow Bristleback down significantly.
* Undying saps strength from heroes with Decay, and Ogre Magi's high strength gain will allow Undying to steal more and more strength, becoming stronger with each use. * Due to the Strength steal from Decay, Undying is normally very tanky, and has high health, making it harder for Ogre Magi to kill him.
* Undying's Tombstone will cheerfully chew through treants, incidentally netting you some extra income during fights. * The above interaction tends to ensure that skirmishes are heavily populated with units, thereby buffing Soul Rip
* Winter Wyvern cannot handle the Zombies created by Undying's Tombstone very well. In most situations, Zombies will have more movement speed than her. * Undying can gain one or two easy Decay stacks on an ally in Cold Embrace. The ally will still take the damage as well. Additional: * Winter Wyvern cannot handle the Zombies created by Tombstone very well. In most situations, Zombies will have more movement speed than her. * Undying can gain one or two easy Decay stacks on an ally in Cold Embrace. The ally will still take the damage as well, since it is magical.
* Night Stalker can easily find Tinker in the trees during Dark Ascension. * Void's mini-stun will stop Rearm and Keen Conveyance * Crippling Fear's silence will prevent Tinker from fighting back, as Tinker relies on his spells. Additional: * Night Stalker is one of the best heroes to find (and silence) Tinker in the trees during Dark Ascension.
* The long silence at night prevents Clinkz from escaping with invisibility if Night Stalker can sneak up on him. He also has really low base health, so Night Stalker can usually kill him alone during one cast of Crippling Fear at night.
* Night Stalker's Crippling Fear at night prevents Shadow Walk for an extended period of time and his Void will make Phase Boots useless. If Night Stalker has True Sight, he can shutdown Bounty Hunter's sneak kill.
* Heroes with mobility/escape mechanisms to dodge Ancient Apparition abilites, or to easily jump on him: Riki, Queen of Pain, Phantom Assassin, Windranger, Bounty Hunter, Spirit Breaker, Night Stalker, Storm Spirit, Juggernaut, etc.
* Heroes that are hard to gank: Dragon Knight, Mars, Centaur Warrunner.
* Decay, Soul Rip and Flesh Golem all deal magical damage which ignores Bulwark. * Decay reduces Mars' natural strength and therefore his health pool, which is what he relies on to trade effectively in lane.
* Mirana can destroy Tombstone, and evade zombies using Leap and Moonlight Shadow's invisibility.
* The long silence of Crippling Fear at night prevents Mirana from escaping with Moonlight Shadow and Leap. She also has really low base health, so Night Stalker can usually kill her during one cast of Crippling Fear at night. * With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can find and kill Mirana, and he is a tanky hero capable of fighting Mirana any stage of the game.
* Invoker's multiple spells can lock down Undying and disable him from doing much.
* Crippling Fear is a good way to shut down and gank Invoker in the early game.. * Void deals good damage to Invoker and makes escaping harder. * With Hunter in the Night and Void, Invoker can't get away from Night Stalker and won't be able to catch him with Sun Strike during the night.
* Phoenix turns night to day, overriding Dark Ascension during Supernova.
* Void can interrupt Icarus Dive. * His Crippling Fear's silence will shutdown a spell caster Phoenix. * However, Phoenix punishes Night Stalker with Supernova because it will turn night into day, and it has a higher priority than Dark Ascension, effectively canceling the passive bonuses Night Stalker gets from Hunter in the Night.
* All abilities from Undying easy to steal to Rubick with Spell Steal. Additional: * Tombstone can be stolen to counter-initiate the enemy team in skirmishes. * Tombstone provides vision over the enemy around, use this to Rubick's advantage for more spells. * Since Undying is melee and has low attack speed, the tombstone can be hard to taken down by Undying himself. * Flesh Golem provides Rubick with increased Health pool and a powerful attack modifier. * Rubick can apply the Flesh Golem debuff much more easily as a ranged hero. * Decay is a decent damaging ability, making Rubick somewhat tankier in teamfights. * Soul Rip can be used for extra heal or burst damage.
* Crippling Fear silences nearby heroes and cannot be dispelled, which hinders Rubick's way to retaliate when being jumped on. * With Hunter in the Night and Dark Ascension, Night Stalker can find Rubick easily in teamfights. The two spells grants more than enough damage to hunt Rubick down without defensive items.
* Warcry makes it difficult to burst Sven down with both the passive (with Aghanim's Shard) and active component. * Sven under the effect of God's Strength and his massive physical damage make Sven very dangerous to engage in the mid game.
* Undying can use Decay not only to reduce Sven's maximum health, but also to reduce the damage he can deal with his ultimate. * Zombies spawned by Tombstone together with Flesh Golem slow Sven down significantly. Landing Sven's powerful but somewhat slow right-click on Tombstone would be a waste.
* Geminate Attack works on Tombstone, allowing Weaver to kill it quickly. * Zombies attacking Weaver disappear once he goes invisible with Shukuchi. * Undying has no way to catch a mobile Weaver.
* The long silence of Crippling Fear at night prevents Weaver from using his Shukuchi or Time Lapse. * With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can easily find and probably kill Weaver. * Hunter In the Night's attack speed bonus removes The Swarm's beetles very quickly.
* Tombstone's zombies rarely inhibit Anti-Mage, as he can either Blink away or onto the Tombstone and destroy it.
* Crippling Fear makes Night Stalker one of the best early game gankers to shut down Anti-Mage. * Night Stalker's low mana pool causes him to take little damage from Mana Void.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.