* The blind from Laser prevents Shadow Fiend from attacking for its duration, potentially preventing him from getting a kill. * Scythe of Vyse can be used to prevent Shadow Fiend from casting Requiem of Souls. * A combination of Tinker's abilities and his items (like the Dagon 5 and Ethereal Blade combo) can kill Shadow Fiend quickly. Additional: * During the laning stage Laser will reduce Shadow Fiend's last hits, preventing him from getting Necromastery souls. * Shadow Fiend has low health and is vulnerable to Tinker's high magic burst.
* All of his damage is magical and pure, which makes Cold Embrace a good setup for his nukes. * Winter's Curse is very hard to cast on Tinker because he usually stays in the back-lines in team-fights. In turn, Tinker has mediocre attack damage and will contribute very little when he is cursed to attack an ally. He can also save his ally under Winter's Curse effect with Ethereal Blade and Defense Matrix.
* Decrepify prevents Shadow Fiend from attacking for its duration, potentially preventing him from getting a kill. * Nether Ward can do heavy damage to Shadow Fiend if he tries to cast his Requiem of Souls and his Shadowraze. Additional: * Decrepify prevents Shadow Fiend from attacking for its duration, potentially preventing him from getting a kill. * Nether Ward can do heavy damage to Shadow Fiend if he tries to cast his Requiem of Souls or spam Shadowraze.
* Cold Embrace is a death sentence against Pugna, since its the perfect setup for all his abilities, especially Life Drain. * Decrepify can be cast to save the ally under Winter's Curse effect, wasting most of its duration. * Winter Wyvern's abilities require a lot of mana, allowing Nether Ward to deal lots of damage.
* Earthshock prevents Shadow Fiend from escaping after Ursa used his Blink Dagger to get on top of him. * Overpower and Fury Swipes allow Ursa to quickly kill Shadow Fiend. * Enrage keeps Ursa alive in a manfight with Shadow Fiend and allows him to stay close, even if Shadow Fiend uses Requiem of Souls.
* Even though Ursa is a hero who relies on direct attacks to be effective, Fury Swipes does not work on allies if Ursa is affected by Winter's Curse, mitigating a majority of Ursa's damage. In addition, Ursa's unimpressive attack speed and attack damage without Overpower and Fury Swipes means that he deals little to no damage to allies during Winter's Curse. * Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Enrage allows Ursa to survive Winter Wyvern's initiation with Winter's Curse.
* Lucent Beam and Eclipse with ministun talent can be used to cancel Requiem of Souls if Shadow Fiend does not have Black King Bar. Likewise, since Shadow Fiend is prone to buying Blink Dagger, an ill-timed Blink Dagger can give Luna a free chance to counter-initiate with Eclipse. * Moon Glaives and Lunar Blessing allow Luna to outfarm Shadow Fiend in lane and the high physical damage output they provide her can also help her deal with Shadow Fiend even when he buys Black King Bar in late game. * A well timed Eclipse will burst and kill Shadow Fiend before he even either initiates or gets a chance to retaliate, especially when equipped with Aghanim's Scepter and Ethereal Blade, this could become even worse for Shadow Fiend if he does not have Black King Bar. But bear in mind however, that smart and skilled Shadow Fiend can buy Wind Waker to counter this issue. * Even though Shadow Fiend can evade all of Luna's abilities with Shadow Blade, smart Luna will always buy Dust of Appearance to provide vision on Shadow Fiend to her and her team. Additional: * Lucent Beam and Eclipse with ministun talent can be used to cancel Requiem of Souls if Shadow Fiend does not have Black King Bar. Likewise, since Shadow Fiend is prone to buying Blink Dagger, an ill-timed Blink Dagger can give Luna a free chance to counter-initiate with Eclipse. * Moon Glaives and Lunar Blessing allow Luna to outfarm Shadow Fiend in lane and the high physical damage output they provide her can also help her deal with Shadow Fiend even when he buys Black King Bar in late game. * A well timed Eclipse will burst and kill Shadow Fiend before he even either initiates or gets a chance to retaliate, especially when equipped with Aghanim's Scepter and Ethereal Blade, this could become even worse for Shadow Fiend if he does not have Black King Bar. But bear in mind however, that smart and skilled Shadow Fiend can buy Wind Waker to counter this issue. * Even though Shadow Fiend can evade all of Luna's abilities with Shadow Blade, a smart Luna will always buy Dust of Appearance to provide vision on Shadow Fiend to her and her team.
* Cold Embrace is no salvation against Lucent Beam and Eclipse. * Moon Glaives will not hit a hero affected by Winter's Curse, making it weak against allies, but strong versus enemies. * Luna has better night vision provided by Lunar Blessing than Winter Wyvern when affected by Arctic Burn. Additional: * Cold Embrace is no salvation against Lucent Beam and Eclipse. * Moon Glaives will not hit a hero affected by Winter's Curse, making it weak against allies, but strong versus enemies. * Luna has better night vision provided by Lunar Blessing than Winter Wyvern when affected by Arctic Burn.
* Arc Lightning allows Zeus to get farm in lane against Shadow Fiend without coming into the range of his Shadowrazes. * Lightning Bolt can be used to heavily harass Shadow Fiend when he tries to get a last hit. * Thundergod's Wrath and Lightning Bolt can be used to detect Shadow Fiend if he tries to escape with Shadow Blade.
* Heavy nukers will do well against Cold Embrace (Lina, Zeus etc).
Additional: * Any ally that Winter Wyvern tries to save with Cold Embrace can still be damaged by all of Zeus's spells. * If Winter Wyvern tries to juke vision by flying up a cliff or in the trees, Zeus can gain vision there with Lightning Bolt or Thundergod's Wrath. * If Zeus is forced to attack an ally by Winter's Curse, his unimpressive attack damage and attack speed means they won't be hurt much by him. Zeus will also stay near the back of fights away from his allies, making a deadly Curse less likely.
* Enfeeble can be used to decrease Shadow Fiend's already abysmal level one damage even further, preventing him from getting farm and Necromastery stacks. * Brain Sap allows Bane to heavily harass Shadow Fiend. * Nightmare allows Bane to set up some early ganks onto Shadow Fiend. * Fiend's Grip enables Bane to completely take Shadow Fiend out of a fight and potentially even kill him, even through Black King Bar. Additional: * Enfeeble can be used to decrease Shadow Fiend's already abysmal level one damage even further, preventing him from getting farm and Necromastery stacks. * Brain Sap allows Bane to heavily harass Shadow Fiend. * Nightmare allows Bane to set up some early ganks onto Shadow Fiend. * Fiend's Grip enables Bane to completely take Shadow Fiend out of a fight and potentially even kill him, even through Black King Bar.
* Heroes that depend on disrupting fights with ability combos or big ultimate abilities are vulnerable to the long stun of Fiend's Grip: Disruptor, Death Prophet, Enigma, Faceless Void, Invoker, Lich, Magnus, Mars, Medusa, Outworld Destroyer, Phoenix, Puck, Queen of Pain, Shadow Fiend, Treant Protector, Underlord, Winter Wyvern, Witch Doctor, Zeus.
* Void can be used to cancel Requiem of Souls. * Crippling Fear prevents Shadow Fiend from using Shadowraze or Requiem of Souls. * With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can find and kill Shadow Fiend easily. He is also a tanky hero that can fight Shadow Fiend at any stage of the game.
* Outworld Destroyer's pure damage from Arcane Orb can go through Cold Embrace. * Outworld Destroyer can negate the healing from Cold Embrace using Astral Imprisonment, and steal mana while doing so. * Outworld Destroyer's damage during Winter's Curse is reduced due to Arcane Orb being unable to target allies. Additional: * Winter Wyvern must never put her allies in Cold Embrace against Outworld Destroyer as Arcane Orb will continue to deal damage to the defenseless hero. * Arcane Orb does not hit his allies when he is taunted by Winter's Curse, making it weak against allies, but strong versus enemies. * Astral Imprisonment can protect a target inflicted with Winter's Curse.
* Winter Wyvern cannot handle the Zombies created by Undying's Tombstone very well. In most situations, Zombies will have more movement speed than her. * Undying can gain one or two easy Decay stacks on an ally in Cold Embrace. The ally will still take the damage as well. Additional: * Winter Wyvern cannot handle the Zombies created by Tombstone very well. In most situations, Zombies will have more movement speed than her. * Undying can gain one or two easy Decay stacks on an ally in Cold Embrace. The ally will still take the damage as well, since it is magical.
* Guardian Angel completely counters Winter's Curse if Omniknight is able to cast it. Additional: * Guardian Angel completely counters Winter's Curse, allowing his team to survive Winter Wyvern's initiation. * Purification and Heavenly Grace are very useful against Arctic Burn, Splinter Blast and Winter's Curse as well.
* Despite Jakiro's fragileness, he can easily harass Shadow Fiend with Dual Breath and Liquid Fire than Shadow Fiend can harass Jakiro with Shadowraze. * Jakiro can easily cancel Requiem of Souls with Ice Path as Shadow Fiend is a very easy target while channeling it. * Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Macropyre can deal pure damage-over-time and pierce spell immunity, which can discourage Shadow Fiend from even trying to initiate with Requiem of Souls. Additional: * Despite Jakiro's fragileness, he can easily harass Shadow Fiend with Dual Breath and Liquid Fire than Shadow Fiend can harass Jakiro with Shadowraze. * Jakiro can easily cancel Requiem of Souls with Ice Path as Shadow Fiend is a very easy target while channeling it. * Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Macropyre can deal pure damage-over-time and pierce spell immunity, which can discourage Shadow Fiend from even trying to initiate with Requiem of Souls.
* Cold Embrace makes its target immovable, allowing Ancient Apparition to easily land Ice Blast, or a Cold Feet stun. * Ice Blast also negates healing from Cold Embrace. Additional: * Ice Blast disables the healing component of Cold Embrace, making it essentially a 4 second stun on an ally and a perfect setup for Ice Blast. * If Cold Feet is cast on an Allied hero affected by Cold Embrace, it will almost guarantee the Ally comes out stunned.
* Nethertoxin breaks both Necromastery and Presence of the Dark Lord, reducing his damage massively. * Corrosive Skin gives Viper bonus Magic Resistance against Shadowraze and Requiem of Souls. * Viper can easily take advantage of Shadow Fiend's lack of escape and mobility spells with Viper Strike and Poison Attack. Poison Attack also serves as a great way to harass Shadow Fiend.
* Bounty Hunter can absolutely destroy a Shadow Fiend's game by ganking his midlane with Shadow Walk, Jinada and Shuriken Toss. * If his lane goes bad, a Shadow Fiend usually goes to the jungle. Follow him with Shadow Walk and take half of his experience. * Due to its ministun, Shuriken Toss is a good way to interrupt Shadow Fiend's long cast animation on Requiem of Souls. Additional: * Shuriken Toss can be used to cancel Requiem of Souls. * Shadow Walk and Jinada allow Bounty Hunter to gank Shadow Fiend early on * Track prevents Shadow Fiend from escaping with Shadow Blade.
* Charge of Darkness allows Spirit Breaker to gank Shadow Fiend in the early game, preventing him from getting Necromastery stacks. * Nether Strike and Charge of Darkness can be used to prevent Shadow Fiend from casting Requiem of Souls.
* Shrapnel can be used to cancel Shadow Fiend's Blink Dagger from a huge range. * Take Aim and Headshot allow Sniper to harass Shadow Fiend in lane without getting into the range of his Shadowrazes. Additional: * Shrapnel can be used to cancel Shadow Fiend's Blink Dagger from a huge range. * Take Aim and Headshot allow Sniper to harass Shadow Fiend in lane without getting into the range of his Shadowraze. * Assassinate when upgraded with Aghanim's Scepter can be used to cancel Shadow Fiend's Requiem of Souls.
* Static Link can steal Shadow Fiend's high physical damage output from Necromastery, lowering his damage output, and Static Link cannot be prevented by Black King Bar. * Plasma Field and Eye of the Storm can melt down Shadow Fiend easily, due to his low health.
* Kraken Shell dispels both Shadowraze's damage amplification stacks and Requiem of Soul's damage reduction (provided Tidehunter has taken enough damage). * Ravage cancels Requiem of Souls if Shadow Fiend isn't protected by Black King Bar. Additional: * Kraken Shell dispels the damage amplification stacks of Shadowraze as well as the damage reduction from Requiem of Souls (provided he has taken enough damage). * Anchor Smash reduces Shadow Fiend's large attack damage, Kraken Shell makes Tidehunter the last target Shadow Fiend wants to attack. * Ravage can easily cancel Requiem of Souls if Shadow Fiend isn't protected by Black King Bar.
* Requiem of Souls is easily interrupted by Boundless Strike, due to its long cast time. * Shadow Fiend's lack of mobility and escape makes him an easy target to ambush with Primal Spring, especially during laning stage. * Being close means he cannot use all three razes on you before you get your Jingu Mastery stacks.
* Shadow Fiend's Requiem of Souls allows Rubick to output enormous crowd damage and control to the enemy team. * Requiem of Souls has an effective range of 1000. Rubick can steal the spell out of the fear range with any level of Arcane Supremacy learned. * Requiem of Souls has a significant cast animation which allows Rubick to predict the steal timing, since Shadow Fiend usually positions at the center of battlefield. * Telekinesis can lift a unit right on top of Rubick with no collision size, forcing the victim to absorb all damaging lines of Requiem of Souls from Rubick, possibly resulting in a one-shot kill. * Note that Requiem of Souls from Rubick still uses the original 1.67 second channeling time. * It is advised to build Blink Dagger to jump in and cast Requiem of Souls given the opportunity. * The three Shadowraze (Far) abilities are decent for farming and extra damage output. * Note that Shadowraze (Near), Shadowraze (Medium) and Shadowraze (Far) are considered three separated abilities, only one is stolen per spell steal cast. * It could be troublesome to cast Shadowraze (Far) immediately for damage output immediately after stolen since it is hard to react and recognize which of the three is stolen. * Shadow Fiend's right click damage together with his ability damage may hurt Rubick bad. Consider items like Ghost Scepter and Glimmer Cape, together with wards to avoid being picked up.
* Timbersaw relies on dealing massive amounts of pure damage, making Cold Embrace a good setup for his nukes. * If he has Reactive Armor stacks, Timbersaw can tank the damage from his allies if he is targeted by Winter's Curse. If he's not the target, Timbersaw's abysmal attack damage will contribute next to nothing when he is cursed to attack an ally. * Since Timbersaw build Lotus Orb, Winter's Curse is very useless for Winter Wyvern makes reflected back taunted to herself and ganking.
* Heroes that have small health pools and little to no escape mechanisms are even easier prey for Necrophos. Ghost Shroud's slow will allow him to catch him with them, and get nuked down with his abilities, even preventing retaliation due to Reaper's Scythe's stun. Such heroes include Crystal Maiden, Witch Doctor, Warlock or Shadow Fiend.
* Heroes with channeling spells because Shadow Fiend has nothing to cancel channeling outside of Requiem of Souls: Bane, Enigma, Pudge, Shadow Shaman, Dawnbreaker, Warlock, Crystal Maiden.
Additional: * Because Shadow Fiend lacks escaping mechanisms, and is dependent on fair positioning for channeling Requiem of Souls, it's easier for Warlock with his long range crowd control abilities to lock Shadow Fiend down for his team.
* Heroes with high physical damage output but lack of reliable escape mechanisms are always a good target for a solo gank: Sniper, Shadow Fiend, Troll Warlord, Drow Ranger. Those heroes, however, are dangerous if they manage to close the gap, so take caution.
* Heroes who build mana boosting items but have low mana regeneration are especially vulnerable against Mana Break and Mana Void: Timbersaw, Slark, Shadow Fiend, Clinkz, BristlebackNyx Assassin, Magnus
* Cold Embrace is a perfect setup for Mystic Flare. * Winter Wyvern is a spellcaster, and the 6 second silence from Ancient Seal can prevent her from contributing much. * Because Skywrath Mage tends to stay back in fights, Winter Wyvern will have to get close to a teamfight to cast Winter's Curse on him. And if she chooses to cast it on one of his allies, his low attack speed and damage means that he won't do much. * However, bear in mind that Skywrath Mage has seriously awful armor, and that can make him an adequate target to being turned against his own team with Winter's Curse, which can result in his death quickly. Additional: * Cold Embrace is the perfect setup for Mystic Flare, and his 6-second silence is good against Winter Wyvern in general.
* Heroes with a low health pool (Crystal Maiden, Skywrath Mage etc)
* Berserker's Call and Counter Helix allow Axe to kill Shadow Fiend if he stands too close to a creep wave. * Battle Hunger is can be strong against Shadow Fiend in the early game because Shadow Fiend's low attack damage makes it hard for him to get last hits if he has no mana. However, Shadowraze also makes it very easy for him to get last hits, so use with caution. * Axe's naturally high strength and health regeneration will be enough to tank a lot of Shadow Fiend's damage in the early game.
* Heroes who can stop Axe from getting close will severely inhibit his presence in fights: Bristleback, Crystal Maiden, Batrider, Arc Warden, Winter Wyvern, Clockwerk
* Shadow Fiend's fragility and lack of a natural escape mechanism makes him a great target for Templar Assassin's Meld. * Shadow Fiend's burst damage, such as Shadowraze and Requiem of Souls, is easily nullified by her Refraction.
* Many physical-only single-target heroes like Lifestealer, Sven, Wraith King, Phantom Assassin, Templar Assassin can have their damage mitigated by Cold Embrace.
* Dragon Tail can be used to cancel Requiem of Souls. * Breathe Fire reduces Shadow Fiend's damage even further. * Dragon Knight's high strength and Dragon Blood means that he'll be able to tank Shadow Fiend's right clicks.
* Shadow Fiend's Presence of the Dark Lord reduces Dragon Knight's armor considerably, and his strong base attacks are augmented by his Necromastery.
* The Reflection of Shadow Fiend cause Presence of the Dark Lord to affect Shadow Fiend, reducing his armor and making it easier for Terrorblade to kill him. Shadow Fiend also doesn't have lots of survivability or control abilities in order to escape. * If Shadow Fiend chooses to go for a physical damage item build, he'll have a hard time against Terrorblade's high armor.
* Terrorblade and his illusions deal huge damage, which might used against him and his team with Winter's Curse.
* Doom has several disable abilities to choose from jungle creeps (e.g. War Stomp, Ensnare) to deal with Shadow Fiend who lacks escape abilities. * When Doom combines creep abilities with Scorched Earth, Infernal Blade, and Doom, Shadow Fiend most likely will die as he cannot use Shadowraze and Requiem of Souls to protect himself, and also cannot even flee by using Shadow Blade or Blink Dagger. * Although Shadow Fiend has a high physical damage output, Doom has a large health pool to survive it, meaning Doom's combo with high magical damage output will shutdown Shadow Fiend first. * Doom usually buys Radiance to improve his damage, making his nuke combo more deadly to Shadow Fiend. The blind also prevents Shadow Fiend from landing his attacks often.
* Heroes with the ability to heal allies, or those with good defensive abilities: Chen, Dazzle, Io, Oracle, Omniknight, Witch Doctor, Winter Wyvern, Abaddon, etc.
* Shadow Fiend's Requiem of Souls not only slow all Meepos, but it can also kill the weakest Meepo instantly if the ultimate is released at the right position and time.
Additional: * Shadow Fiend can easily focus down and kill one of the Meepos. * The amount of damage from Shadow Fiend's AoE spells makes Meepo vulnerable in every aspect.
* Winter's Curse in late game is pretty much the end for Meepo or any of his nearby allies. Natural counter for Winter's Curse like Linken's Sphere or Lotus Orb is meaningless to her if she can land it on one of your clones. Additional: * Meepo's clones usually gets grouped in teamfight making any of them ideal target for Winter's Curse, forcing Meepo to literally kill himself. Also, unlike other heroes he cannot protect himself with Linken's Sphere. * While Meepo's clones are grouped up, Splinter Blast will hit almost every clone, slowing Meepo and making him easier to fight.
* Spiderlings are a good source of farm for Necromastery and can be quickly killed with Shadowraze. * Shadow Fiend is a natural Black King Bar carrier, protecting him from any of Broodmother's abilities. * Requiem of Souls combined with Eul's Scepter of Divinity can potentially kill Broodmother before she gets a Black King Bar.
* Broodmother, Nature's Prophet, Phantom Lancer by their nature offer very good target for Splinter Blast and Winter's Curse.
* Cold Embrace mitigates Primal Roar's single-target initiation on allies. * Winter's Curse can turn Beastmaster's summons and Inner Beast against his teammate. Additional: * Beastmaster's summons and Inner Beast are very useful to attack his cursed teammate. * Cold Embrace effectively mitigates Primal Roar's single-target initiation on allies.
* Shadowraze (Near), Shadowraze (Medium), and Shadowraze (Far) can hit hard in the early stages of the game, and due to Shadow Fiend's high attack damage, most of Death Prophet's last hits will be denied in the laning phase. Additionally, Requiem of Souls can deal massive damage or kill Death Prophet at the start of team fights in combination with Eul's Scepter of Divinity or Shadow Blade.
* Cold Embrace saves allies from dying in Duels. * Winter's Curse turns Legion Commander's high damage against her allies, giving the enemy team little time to react. * However, Winter Wyvern lanes very poorly against Legion Commander due to Press the Attack removing all the debuffs she can give. Winter Wyvern also has little chances of surviving if she gets Dueled herself. Additional: * Cold Embrace is very effective against Duel. * Also, casting Winter's Curse at Legion Commander while an ally is in a Duel will stun her for most of the duration, possibly preventing lethal damage dealt to your ally. It can also turn her high-damage against her teammate.
* Arctic Burn makes it nearly impossible for Spectre to juke into the trees. * Cold Embrace negates all of Spectre's physical damage. Furthermore, Cold Embrace will generally outheal Desolate. * Winter's Curse can taunt illusions, not only wasting the entire duration of Haunt but also turning its illusions against Spectre's own team.
* Cold Embrace can heal herself or an ally, as well as protecting them from Clinkz's physical attacks and wasting his mana if Searing Arrows is on autocast. * Winter's Curse allows Winter Wyvern to turn Clinkz's high damage and high attack speed against his allies, or take advantage of Clinkz's fragility if he can't use Skeleton Walk.
* Cold Embrace can protect Troll Warlord's target, especially during Battle Trance. * Winter's Curse can turn Troll Warlord's high physical damage and attack speed against his allies. Additional: * Cold Embrace will protect your ally from being damaged if he gets focused by Troll, although be careful as Fervor will keep gaining stacks even while Cold Embrace is active. * Fervor works on allies. * His high attack speed will help to kill his cursed ally faster.
* Arctic Burn allows Winter Wyvern to escape Lycan, even when he uses his ultimate. * Splinter Blast is very effective in dealing with Lycan's summons. * Cold Embrace saves allies from Lycan's raw physical damage and can buy allies enough time to turn the tide of battle. * Winter's Curse stops Lycan in his tracks and is very effective because of his summons. Additional: * All of Lycan's damage is physical which is totally negated by Cold Embrace. * Lycan often moves around with large amount of creeps, wolves created by Summon Wolves and neutral creep dominated by Helm of the Dominator which can be easily cleared by Splinter Blast or used as a great source of damage by Winter's Curse. If you catch Lycan with creeps nearby and affected by Shapeshift using Winter's Curse on him will most certainly end up with his death.
* Cold Embrace protects Reality Rift targets. * Winter's Curse turns Phantasm illusions against Chaos Knight or a teammate. * Splinter Blast deals decent area damage to Phantasm illusions. * Arctic Burn's percentage-based damage quickly wears down Chaos Knight's high max health. Additional: * Winter Wyvern can make Chaos Knight's illusions attack the real one, provided the player knows who it is. * Alternatively, Winter's Curse can make Chaos Knight and all his illusions attack one of his allies. * Cold Embrace protects ally who is focused by Chaos Knight. * Splinter Blast deals decent area damage to Chaos Knight's illusions. * Chaos Knight's high health pool and tendency to not build magic resistance items will make Arctic Burn deal a lot of damage to him and his illusions.
* Shadowraze can clear waves of Chen's creeps while giving Shadow Fiend gold and damage for Necromastery. * Requiem of Souls's very high magical damage can often kill Chen and his creeps or his allies before he can save them with Hand of God.
* Any hero that can nullify effects of Chronosphere: (Keeper of the Light with Aghanim's Scepter during daytime, Winter Wyvern), banishing him or Faceless Void (Outworld Destroyer, Shadow Demon, Earth Spirit with Aghanim's Scepter) or protecting him in other ways (Dazzle, Oracle, Abaddon) can greatly limit Chronosphere's potential.
* Winter Wyvern's Arctic Burn can also be a useful tool against Centaur, who generally has very high health. Winter's Curse on Centaur can cause Retaliate to damage allies who are forced to attack him.
* Heroes with channeling spells because Shadow Fiend has nothing to cancel channeling outside of Requiem of Souls: Bane, Enigma, Pudge, Shadow Shaman, Dawnbreaker, Warlock, Crystal Maiden.
* Winter's Curse, when directly targeted on Enigma, goes through Black King Bar, stopping Enigma's Black Hole channeling. It also turns his team against him, potentially killing him. Even if Enigma gets Linken's Sphere on top of Black King Bar, Splinter Blast can be used to pop Linken's Sphere, and Winter's Curse will stop Black Hole channeling. * Splinter Blast can be targeted on an eidolon, killing off other eidolons and damaging nearby heroes as well.
* Late game heroes are Sven's favourite kind of opponent, such as Anti-Mage, Spectre and Shadow Fiend.
* Cold Embrace saves any ally Sven initiates on and wastes the duration of God's Strength in team fights. * Winter's Curse can be devastating to Sven's team, as his massive damage can take out a teammate before there is much time to react.
* Arctic Burn and Splinter Blast debuffs are dispellable with Dark Pact. Arctic Burn is also no escape against Pounce. * Cold Embrace gives Slark free Essence Shift stacks. * However, Essence Shift works against allies, and Slark's low health pool means that if he's the target for Winter's Curse, he will go down very quickly.
* Shadow Dance does not protect Slark from Shadow Fiend's AoE spells.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.