* Any hero with a low HP pool is easy for Tinker to nuke down: Crystal Maiden, Enchantress, Gyrocopter, Lion, Riki, Techies, Terrorblade, Necrophos, Invoker.
* All of his damage is magical and pure, which makes Cold Embrace a good setup for his nukes. * Winter's Curse is very hard to cast on Tinker because he usually stays in the back-lines in team-fights. In turn, Tinker has mediocre attack damage and will contribute very little when he is cursed to attack an ally. He can also save his ally under Winter's Curse effect with Ethereal Blade and Defense Matrix.
* Familiars can fly over the mines, rendering them safe from damage of Techies's mines. Visage can also use Familiars to check for mines on the map. * Techies's low attack speed and damage will give them a hard time in destroying Visage's Familiars, and that can become even worse if they are affected by Grave Chill. * Gravekeeper's Cloak allows Visage to survive Damage from Techies's mines.
* Oracle can negate all of Techies' skills with Fate's Edict, as they are all magic damage. Fate's Edict can also be used to search and trigger Proximity Mines when crossing mined territory. * Oracle can dispel Reactive Tazer off Techies, as well as the silence from Blast Off!, with Fortune's End. * Oracle can further delay Techies' burst damage capability with False Promise. Additional: * Fate's Edict gives 100% magic resistance, which prevents most of Techies' damage. * Oracle's Fortune's End dispels Reactive Tazer buff from Techies allowing him to be attacked. However, Reactive Tazer will instantly perform the area of effect disarm that is normally applied at the end of the duration. * Fortune's End will also dispel Blast Off silence, Techies' Etheral Blade, Proximity Mines' magic resistance reduction, and Sticky Bomb's slow. However beware that it will only dispel Sticky Bomb's first or second instance of slow and not the damage, which will trigger as normal.
* Aphotic Shield makes it less likely for allies to be killed by mines. * Because they explode in very short intervals, a stack of Remote Mines will always trigger Borrowed Time, making them impossible to kill Abaddon unless his resistances are lowered enough or Abaddon is affected by Break. * Abaddon can easily dispel the long-lasting root of Stasis Trap on himself and on an ally, while at the same also providing protection against the other mines' damage. Additional: * Borrowed Time's automatic activation will help Abaddon survive a field of Proximity Mines or a Blast Off combo. However, the damage from a single mine can kill him if his HP is low enough. * Aphotic Shield's can easily break Techies' Etheral Blade combo.
* Thanks to Counterspell's magic resistance, Anti-Mage has a good chance of surviving a Blast Off combo. * Anti-Mage is a natural Manta Style carrier, meaning he can dispel the silence from Blast Off and blink away when Techies initiates on him.
* Dark Ascension also allows Night Stalker to fly over Proximity Mines without triggering them. * Crippling Fear is effective in stopping Techies from using Blast Off and Void is effective in stopping them from running to the safety of their mines.
* Outworld Destroyer's pure damage from Arcane Orb can go through Cold Embrace. * Outworld Destroyer can negate the healing from Cold Embrace using Astral Imprisonment, and steal mana while doing so. * Outworld Destroyer's damage during Winter's Curse is reduced due to Arcane Orb being unable to target allies. Additional: * Winter Wyvern must never put her allies in Cold Embrace against Outworld Destroyer as Arcane Orb will continue to deal damage to the defenseless hero. * Arcane Orb does not hit his allies when he is taunted by Winter's Curse, making it weak against allies, but strong versus enemies. * Astral Imprisonment can protect a target inflicted with Winter's Curse.
* Cold Embrace makes its target immovable, allowing Ancient Apparition to easily land Ice Blast, or a Cold Feet stun. * Ice Blast also negates healing from Cold Embrace. Additional: * Ice Blast disables the healing component of Cold Embrace, making it essentially a 4 second stun on an ally and a perfect setup for Ice Blast. * If Cold Feet is cast on an Allied hero affected by Cold Embrace, it will almost guarantee the Ally comes out stunned.
* Cold Embrace is a death sentence against Pugna, since its the perfect setup for all his abilities, especially Life Drain. * Decrepify can be cast to save the ally under Winter's Curse effect, wasting most of its duration. * Winter Wyvern's abilities require a lot of mana, allowing Nether Ward to deal lots of damage.
* Cold Embrace is no salvation against Lucent Beam and Eclipse. * Moon Glaives will not hit a hero affected by Winter's Curse, making it weak against allies, but strong versus enemies. * Luna has better night vision provided by Lunar Blessing than Winter Wyvern when affected by Arctic Burn. Additional: * Cold Embrace is no salvation against Lucent Beam and Eclipse. * Moon Glaives will not hit a hero affected by Winter's Curse, making it weak against allies, but strong versus enemies. * Luna has better night vision provided by Lunar Blessing than Winter Wyvern when affected by Arctic Burn.
* Winter Wyvern cannot handle the Zombies created by Undying's Tombstone very well. In most situations, Zombies will have more movement speed than her. * Undying can gain one or two easy Decay stacks on an ally in Cold Embrace. The ally will still take the damage as well. Additional: * Winter Wyvern cannot handle the Zombies created by Tombstone very well. In most situations, Zombies will have more movement speed than her. * Undying can gain one or two easy Decay stacks on an ally in Cold Embrace. The ally will still take the damage as well, since it is magical.
* Guardian Angel completely counters Winter's Curse if Omniknight is able to cast it. Additional: * Guardian Angel completely counters Winter's Curse, allowing his team to survive Winter Wyvern's initiation. * Purification and Heavenly Grace are very useful against Arctic Burn, Splinter Blast and Winter's Curse as well.
* Cold Embrace is a perfect setup for Mystic Flare. * Winter Wyvern is a spellcaster, and the 6 second silence from Ancient Seal can prevent her from contributing much. * Because Skywrath Mage tends to stay back in fights, Winter Wyvern will have to get close to a teamfight to cast Winter's Curse on him. And if she chooses to cast it on one of his allies, his low attack speed and damage means that he won't do much. * However, bear in mind that Skywrath Mage has seriously awful armor, and that can make him an adequate target to being turned against his own team with Winter's Curse, which can result in his death quickly. Additional: * Cold Embrace is the perfect setup for Mystic Flare, and his 6-second silence is good against Winter Wyvern in general.
* Corrosive Skin will protect Viper from Techies' magical damage. * Even though Reactive Tazer will disarm Viper if he attacks Techies with Poison Attack, he does lots of damage with his other abilities that can still kill Techies.
* Even though Ursa is a hero who relies on direct attacks to be effective, Fury Swipes does not work on allies if Ursa is affected by Winter's Curse, mitigating a majority of Ursa's damage. In addition, Ursa's unimpressive attack speed and attack damage without Overpower and Fury Swipes means that he deals little to no damage to allies during Winter's Curse. * Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Enrage allows Ursa to survive Winter Wyvern's initiation with Winter's Curse.
* Arctic Burn and Splinter Blast debuffs are dispellable with Dark Pact. Arctic Burn is also no escape against Pounce. * Cold Embrace gives Slark free Essence Shift stacks. * However, Essence Shift works against allies, and Slark's low health pool means that if he's the target for Winter's Curse, he will go down very quickly.
* Exorcism's ghosts will automatically clear all Proximity Mines revealed when Death Prophet walks near them, provided that the ghosts do not have a specific target at that time. * Death Prophet is a natural Eul's Scepter of Divinity carrier, meaning she can easily escape a Blast Off initiation.
* Techies spends lots of time standing still planting stacks of Land Mines away from creep waves. * Sacred Arrow can be used to scout hidden Land Mines among trees and at uphill places. It can also be used to catch Techies while he's planting them. * If Techies is hit with a Sacred Arrow, he can be killed before he has a chance to use Blast Off!. * Mirana has a high attack range to destroy his traps from a safe distance.
* Timbersaw relies on dealing massive amounts of pure damage, making Cold Embrace a good setup for his nukes. * If he has Reactive Armor stacks, Timbersaw can tank the damage from his allies if he is targeted by Winter's Curse. If he's not the target, Timbersaw's abysmal attack damage will contribute next to nothing when he is cursed to attack an ally. * Since Timbersaw build Lotus Orb, Winter's Curse is very useless for Winter Wyvern makes reflected back taunted to herself and ganking.
* Heavy nukers will do well against Cold Embrace (Lina, Zeus etc).
Additional: * Any ally that Winter Wyvern tries to save with Cold Embrace can still be damaged by all of Zeus's spells. * If Winter Wyvern tries to juke vision by flying up a cliff or in the trees, Zeus can gain vision there with Lightning Bolt or Thundergod's Wrath. * If Zeus is forced to attack an ally by Winter's Curse, his unimpressive attack damage and attack speed means they won't be hurt much by him. Zeus will also stay near the back of fights away from his allies, making a deadly Curse less likely.
* Heroes that depend on disrupting fights with ability combos or big ultimate abilities are vulnerable to the long stun of Fiend's Grip: Disruptor, Death Prophet, Enigma, Faceless Void, Invoker, Lich, Magnus, Mars, Medusa, Outworld Destroyer, Phoenix, Puck, Queen of Pain, Shadow Fiend, Treant Protector, Underlord, Winter Wyvern, Witch Doctor, Zeus.
* Rage protects Lifestealer from all of Techies' abilities. Reactive Tazer's disarm will also not work on Lifestealer under Rage. * Rage can also be used to trigger Techies' Proximity Mines safely. Additional: * Lifestealer's Rage lets him clear Proximity Mines without taking damage, and allows him to hit heroes whom Techies has used Reactive Tazer on.
* Many physical-only single-target heroes like Lifestealer, Sven, Wraith King, Phantom Assassin, Templar Assassin can have their damage mitigated by Cold Embrace.
* Juggernaut can trigger Proximity Mines while in Blade Fury, and can walk away from a initiation with Blast Off if Blade Fury is activated before the silence. * Juggernaut ignores Reactive Tazer when he uses Omnislash, whether Techies used it to protect an ally or themselves.
* Heroes with abilities that can save teammates are also effective such as Shadow Demon, Dazzle, Oracle, Bane, Pugna, Tusk, Winter Wyvern, Io, Underlord, Treant Protector and Keeper of the Light.
* Techies has great area of effect damage to deal with Phantasm illusions. * Blast Off silences Chaos Knight, stopping him from using his disables and allowing his teammates to walk away from his heavy damage. * Reactive Tazer will disarm all of Chaos Knight's illusions even if he has activated his Black King Bar.
* Cold Embrace protects Reality Rift targets. * Winter's Curse turns Phantasm illusions against Chaos Knight or a teammate. * Splinter Blast deals decent area damage to Phantasm illusions. * Arctic Burn's percentage-based damage quickly wears down Chaos Knight's high max health. Additional: * Winter Wyvern can make Chaos Knight's illusions attack the real one, provided the player knows who it is. * Alternatively, Winter's Curse can make Chaos Knight and all his illusions attack one of his allies. * Cold Embrace protects ally who is focused by Chaos Knight. * Splinter Blast deals decent area damage to Chaos Knight's illusions. * Chaos Knight's high health pool and tendency to not build magic resistance items will make Arctic Burn deal a lot of damage to him and his illusions.
* Reactive Tazer can lock multiple Meepos in place and prevent them from Poofing. * Proximity Mines, Sticky Bomb and Blast Off! can deal heavy magic damage to multiple Meepos.
* Winter's Curse in late game is pretty much the end for Meepo or any of his nearby allies. Natural counter for Winter's Curse like Linken's Sphere or Lotus Orb is meaningless to her if she can land it on one of your clones. Additional: * Meepo's clones usually gets grouped in teamfight making any of them ideal target for Winter's Curse, forcing Meepo to literally kill himself. Also, unlike other heroes he cannot protect himself with Linken's Sphere. * While Meepo's clones are grouped up, Splinter Blast will hit almost every clone, slowing Meepo and making him easier to fight.
* Morphling usually has low max health due to shifting strength into agility, which combined with Blast Off's silence will prevent him from using Waveform and Adaptive Strike (Strength), leaving him defenseless and making him an easy target to burst down.
* Winter Wyvern's Winter's Curse turns Morphling's high attack damage and attack speed against his targeted teammate.
* Heroes with summons like Broodmother, Enigma, Nature's Prophet; or illusions, like Naga Siren, Terrorblade are effective at keeping the choke points and rune spawns safe from Proximity Mines.
* Techies deals lots of magical damage with Sticky Bomb, Blast Off! and Proximity Mines that bypasses Terrorblade's high armor and can punish his low max life. * Sticky Bomb is easy to land on a large clump of Terrorblade illusions and will damage and slow Terrorblade and all of his illusions if he can't quickly move the right one away. * Reactive Tazer upgraded with Aghanim's Scepter can be used to protect an ally getting attacked by Terrorblade. Further, it disarms all of his illusions even while he has activated Black King Bar, greatly decreasing his damage. * Blast Off! stuns Terrorblade, preventing him from casting Sunder.
* Terrorblade and his illusions deal huge damage, which might used against him and his team with Winter's Curse.
* Cold Embrace saves any ally Sven initiates on and wastes the duration of God's Strength in team fights. * Winter's Curse can be devastating to Sven's team, as his massive damage can take out a teammate before there is much time to react.
* Cold Embrace mitigates Primal Roar's single-target initiation on allies. * Winter's Curse can turn Beastmaster's summons and Inner Beast against his teammate. Additional: * Beastmaster's summons and Inner Beast are very useful to attack his cursed teammate. * Cold Embrace effectively mitigates Primal Roar's single-target initiation on allies.
* If Storm Spirit isn't careful, he could fall into a trap set by Techies and another hero acting as bait. * Stasis Trap roots Storm Spirit for 2/3/4/5 seconds and Blast Off! silences for 4/5/6/7 seconds, which effectively prevents Storm Spirit from using Ball Lightning to escape for a lengthy duration.
* Proximity Mines can be placed near trees to detect Monkey King. * Follow up with Blast Off! to destroy the tree, causing Monkey King to take high damage, fall from the tree, and become stunned. Additional: * Techies can turn his tree jumping ability against him, by placing Proximity Mines that will detect him near trees, and then destroying the trees around him with Blast Off, stunning him and dealing high damage, on top of him being silenced when the stun expires. * Monkey King's mobility is also severely limited around Techies' mines as he will almost always trigger them due to the cooldown time between tree jumps. Monkey King will be forced to take mine damage or escape with Primal Spring.
* Remote Mines are frequently placed in trees, and can thus kill an unwary Hoodwink should she Scurry away due to her low HP pool. * Blast Off! can clear out trees, denying the tactical advantages from Scurry.
* Cold Embrace can protect Troll Warlord's target, especially during Battle Trance. * Winter's Curse can turn Troll Warlord's high physical damage and attack speed against his allies. Additional: * Cold Embrace will protect your ally from being damaged if he gets focused by Troll, although be careful as Fervor will keep gaining stacks even while Cold Embrace is active. * Fervor works on allies. * His high attack speed will help to kill his cursed ally faster.
* Cold Embrace can heal herself or an ally, as well as protecting them from Clinkz's physical attacks and wasting his mana if Searing Arrows is on autocast. * Winter's Curse allows Winter Wyvern to turn Clinkz's high damage and high attack speed against his allies, or take advantage of Clinkz's fragility if he can't use Skeleton Walk.
* Arctic Burn makes it nearly impossible for Spectre to juke into the trees. * Cold Embrace negates all of Spectre's physical damage. Furthermore, Cold Embrace will generally outheal Desolate. * Winter's Curse can taunt illusions, not only wasting the entire duration of Haunt but also turning its illusions against Spectre's own team.
* Techies can easily catch Chen off guard and kill him quickly with Blast Off! and Ethereal Blade combo, especially because Blast Off! can silence Chen and stun him when upgraded with Aghanim's Shard. * However, Chen's converted creeps can trigger Proximity Mines, wasting them.
* Any hero that can nullify effects of Chronosphere: (Keeper of the Light with Aghanim's Scepter during daytime, Winter Wyvern), banishing him or Faceless Void (Outworld Destroyer, Shadow Demon, Earth Spirit with Aghanim's Scepter) or protecting him in other ways (Dazzle, Oracle, Abaddon) can greatly limit Chronosphere's potential.
* Winter Wyvern's Arctic Burn can also be a useful tool against Centaur, who generally has very high health. Winter's Curse on Centaur can cause Retaliate to damage allies who are forced to attack him.
* Some abilities deals damage from an independent source and not from the hero itself, so Nyx cannot counter them with Spiked Carapace: illusions or summoning units, Homing Missile, Nimbus, Mass Serpent Ward, Death Ward and especially Techies's mines.
* Heroes with summons like Broodmother, Enigma, Nature's Prophet; or illusions, like Naga Siren, Terrorblade are effective at keeping the choke points and rune spawns safe from Proximity Mines.
* Winter's Curse, when directly targeted on Enigma, goes through Black King Bar, stopping Enigma's Black Hole channeling. It also turns his team against him, potentially killing him. Even if Enigma gets Linken's Sphere on top of Black King Bar, Splinter Blast can be used to pop Linken's Sphere, and Winter's Curse will stop Black Hole channeling. * Splinter Blast can be targeted on an eidolon, killing off other eidolons and damaging nearby heroes as well.
* Heroes with low health will die easily during Duels, and can be farmed for damage in the early game: Crystal Maiden, Lich, Techies, Rubick
* Cold Embrace saves allies from dying in Duels. * Winter's Curse turns Legion Commander's high damage against her allies, giving the enemy team little time to react. * However, Winter Wyvern lanes very poorly against Legion Commander due to Press the Attack removing all the debuffs she can give. Winter Wyvern also has little chances of surviving if she gets Dueled herself. Additional: * Cold Embrace is very effective against Duel. * Also, casting Winter's Curse at Legion Commander while an ally is in a Duel will stun her for most of the duration, possibly preventing lethal damage dealt to your ally. It can also turn her high-damage against her teammate.
* He can send wolves to defuse Proximity Mines, and he can catch up Techies and kill him before they can deny themselves. Even if the suicide is successful, Lycan can still survive because of his tankiness.
* Arctic Burn allows Winter Wyvern to escape Lycan, even when he uses his ultimate. * Splinter Blast is very effective in dealing with Lycan's summons. * Cold Embrace saves allies from Lycan's raw physical damage and can buy allies enough time to turn the tide of battle. * Winter's Curse stops Lycan in his tracks and is very effective because of his summons. Additional: * All of Lycan's damage is physical which is totally negated by Cold Embrace. * Lycan often moves around with large amount of creeps, wolves created by Summon Wolves and neutral creep dominated by Helm of the Dominator which can be easily cleared by Splinter Blast or used as a great source of damage by Winter's Curse. If you catch Lycan with creeps nearby and affected by Shapeshift using Winter's Curse on him will most certainly end up with his death.
* Illusions can be sent out to destroy Techies mines.
* Broodmother, Nature's Prophet, Phantom Lancer by their nature offer very good target for Splinter Blast and Winter's Curse.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.