* Static Link drains Tusk's base damage, and it also reduces his Walrus PUNCH! crit. * Plasma Field and Eye of the Storm allow Razor to chase Tusk after he uses Snowball.
* Static Link can steal the bonus damage from Jingu Mastery and reduce the physical damage from Boundless Strike. It also reduces Wukong's Command's damage if it's used after stealing damage via Static Link. * Static Link will give Razor shared vision on Monkey King if he tries to escape using Tree Dance or Mischief. * Plasma Field can prevent Monkey King from using Tree Dance and Mischief. * Eye of the Storm will remove the armor buff from Wukong's Command, as well as hitting Monkey King during Mischief.
* After using Snowball, Tusk can't control where he's going, allowing Techies to make him roll onto mines.
* Techies can turn his tree jumping ability against him, by placing Proximity Mines that will detect him near trees, and then destroying the trees around him with Blast Off, stunning him and dealing high damage, on top of him being silenced when the stun expires. * Monkey King's mobility is also severely limited around Techies' mines as he will almost always trigger them due to the cooldown time between tree jumps. Monkey King will be forced to take mine damage or escape with Primal Spring. Additional: * Proximity Mines can be placed near trees to detect Monkey King. * Follow up with Blast Off! to destroy the tree, causing Monkey King to take high damage, fall from the tree, and become stunned.
* Glimpse can return Tusk to where he was after using Snowball. * Static Storm prevents Tusk from escaping with Snowball and when upgraded with Aghanim's Scepter, it will also prevent him from using items.
* Thunder Strike provides vision of Monkey King when he's in the trees. The periodic damage will also keep Monkey King from using Tree Dance if he's on the ground. * Glimpse pulls Monkey King out of the trees if he attempts to escape using Tree Dance, and can cause Wukong's Command to end prematurely if Monkey King is Glimpsed out of its radius. * However, if Monkey King strikes first, if he has already casted Wukong's Command, Disruptor's abilities will not be much of an use
* Tusk with Snowball * Heroes that can dodge Glimpse: * Puck with Phase Shift * Riki with Tricks of the Trade * Phantom Lancer with Doppelganger * Ember Spirit with Sleight of Fist and Activate Fire Remnant * Chaos Knight with Phantasm * Naga Siren with Mirror Image * Tusk with Snowball * Juggernaut with Omnislash * Brewmaster with Primal Split * Lifestealer with Infest * Phoenix with Supernova
* Sticky Napalm makes it difficult for Tusk to hold his own on lane. * An ill-timed and ill-positioned Snowball will give Batrider a free counter-initiation with Flaming Lasso if Batrider is far enough to avoid the stun from the Snowball. Additional: * Sticky Napalm makes it difficult for Tusk to hold his own on lane. * An ill-timed and ill-positioned Snowball will give Batrider a free counter-initiation with Flaming Lasso if Batrider is far enough to avoid the stun from the Snowball.
* Firefly destroys trees and can turn Tree Dance into a free four second stun. Additional: * Firefly allows Batrider to gain vision of Monkey King while he is on an tree, as well as destroying any nearby trees, denying Monkey King spots to jump to, or causing him to fall. * Sticky Napalm's turn rate slow makes it significantly more difficult for Monkey King to jump from tree to tree and gain Jingu Mastery stacks. It also reveals Monkey King while he is on a tree. * Flamebreak and Flaming Lasso enable Batrider to remove Monkey King out of Wukong's Command.
* Shadow Demon, Outworld Destroyer and Tusk can all save a Lasso'd teammate with their defensive spells.
* She can easily cancel Wukong's Command with Nether Swap. * Wave of Terror can also detect him while he's on the trees. Additional: * Wave of Terror grants flying vision over trees, and its wide effect can hit Monkey King and end Mischief. * Nether Swap can easily cancel Wukong's Command by swapping him out of the circle.
* Doppelganger allows Phantom Lancer to dodge an incoming snowball. * Phantom Lancer usually buys a Diffusal Blade, which is very effective against Tusk's low mana pool. * Phantom Lancer usually buys Manta Style which can also dodge an incoming snowball, much like Doppelganger.
* Heroes that can destroy trees will deny Monkey King spots to jump on, or cause him to fall: Windranger, Nature's Prophet, Phantom Lancer
* Monkey King's Jingu Mastery is undispellable and puts a big yellow Mark over his head. * Heroes with undispellable debuffs will help identify the real Phantom Lancer through visual effects or debuff indicators, provided that it was cast on the real Phantom Lancer to begin with: * Doom's Doom marks Phantom Lancer with a highly visible effect, and also silences and mutes him. * Bloodseeker's Rupture shows a clear red trail effect on the real Phantom Lancer. * Ancient Apparition's Ice Blast will only debuff Phantom Lancer and not his illusions. * Grimstroke's Soulbind is undispellable. * Shadow Demon's Demonic Purge is undispellable. * Monkey King's Jingu Mastery is undispellable and puts a big yellow Mark over his head.
* Blur makes it hard for Monkey King to stack Jingu Mastery. * Phantom Strike allows Phantom Assassin to blink directly to Monkey King during Wukong's Command, bypassing all his clones. * Coup de Grace's high damage can kill Monkey King quickly, thus ending Wukong's Command prematurely.
* Cinder Brew and Drunken Brawler makes it hard for Monkey King to stack Jingu Mastery. * Cyclone can remove Monkey king for 6 seconds if his allies lack dispels. * Dispel Magic can dispel Jingu Mastery's bonuses.
* Blink allows Queen of Pain to avoid ganks and keep her distance, preventing Monkey King from building up Jingu Mastery. * Scream of Pain and Sonic Wave will hit Monkey King when he is disguised, or on a tree. * The large AoE and low cooldown also helps Queen of Pain hit the real Monkey King inside of Wukong's Command.
* Icarus Dive, Sun Ray, and Supernova all destroy trees that Monkey King relies on to use his ability Tree Dance. If you spot him, you can quickly Icarus Dive in his direction and then follow up with Fire Spirits and Supernova. If you manage to cut the tree he is on, he will be stunned for 4 seconds and will be forced to take a lot of damage. However, most Monkey King players tend to build attack speed items to make use of their passive, Jingu Mastery, so a battle against a farmed Monkey King will depend on who gets the jump on the other first. Additional: * Icarus Dive and Supernova can destroy the tree Monkey King is standing on. * Fire Spirits reduces Monkey King's attack speed, preventing Monkey King from building up Jingu Mastery. * Supernova can be casted next to Wukong's Command, forcing Monkey King to step away of it or to withstand its massive AOE damage
* Keeping Void Spirit inside Wukong's Command is a very tricky task, especially in the early and mid game. In addition, if Monkey King is in a bad position, a well placed Aether Remnant can easily pull him out of the ring. * Getting stacks of Jingu Mastery can be difficult when attacking Void Spirit.
* The Hawk can easily find Monkey King while he is sitting on a tree. * Wild Axes can knock out Monkey King from tree. * Boars drastically reduce Monkey King's attack speed, making it harder for him to gain Jingu Mastery stacks. Additional: * Wild Axes can chop down trees, making it difficult for Monkey King to utilize Tree Dance well. * Call of the Wild Hawk can scout Monkey King when he is perched on top of trees. * Primal Roar can stun Monkey King for a lengthy duration even with spell immunity.
* Blinding Light can knock Monkey King outside of his ultimate, Wukong's Command and can blind him. * Will-O-Wisp will stun Monkey King from Tree Dance by destroying his tree. Additional: * Blinding Light can easily push Monkey King out of Wukong's Command, as well as blinding him. * Monkey King is vulnerable to burst damage, Solar Bind makes him more so * However, Keeper of the Light can be easily ganked by Monkey King during early-mid game stage.
* Monkey King often hides in trees, where he can be easily caught with Bushwhack. * Acorn Shot can target enemies in the fog, including Monkey King when he is on a tree. * Sharpshooter provides flying vision along the cast indicator while charging, which can be used to scout the trees for Monkey King.
* Impetus pure damage ignores the extra armor granted from Wukong's Command. * Enchant can dispel Monkey King's Jingu Mastery bonuses. * Untouchable makes it hard for Monkey King to land Jingu Mastery stacks. * Sproink allows Enchantress to escape from Wukong's Command.
* Timbersaw can easily cut down the tree that Monkey King is standing on, stunning him for a lengthy period. * Timbersaw can use Timber Chain to easily escape Wukong's Command and Primal Spring's slow. Additional: * Timbersaw's low cooldown and low mana cost abilities destroys the trees that Monkey King depends on. * Timber Chain allows Timbersaw to escape Wukong's Command.
* Other heroes that rely on physical attacks to deal damage and not their abilities: Troll Warlord, Sniper, Monkey King, Sven.
Additional: * Powershot destroys the tree Monkey King is standing on. * Monkey King's natural reliance on trees makes him an easy target for Shackleshot. * Windrun evades Monkey King's attacks, preventing him from building up Jingu Mastery.
* Nethertoxin prevents the buildup of Jingu Mastery stacks. * Monkey King's high base movement speed is of little worth against the array of slows Viper possesses. * All of Viper's magical damage over time stops Monkey King from using Tree Dance. It also ignores the extra armor bestowed by Wukong's Command. Additional: * Nethertoxin prevents the buildup of Jingu Mastery stacks. * Viper's poison magical damage-over-time stops Monkey King from using Tree Dance. It also ignores the extra armor bestowed by Wukong's Command.
* Heroes who do not have nor rely on passive abilities make Nethertoxin much less effective: Clinkz, Pugna, Nature's Prophet, Dark Seer, Lycan, Tusk
Additional: * Viper Strike can be countered through Snowball, wasting Viper's mana through his ultimate. * Nethertoxin is useless against Tusk as he has no passive abilities at all. And to make things worse, Nethertoxin cannot disable Walrus PUNCH! because it's an auto-cast ability.
* Snowball and Ice Shards keep Drow Ranger down and preventing her from running away. * Snowball also lets Tusk get to Drow Ranger and stop her Marksmanship bonus. It can also be to save allies affected by Gust. * Tag Team allows Tusk to slow her down and land a killing blow on her. * Walrus PUNCH! slows Drow Ranger and deals a huge amount of damage to her, due to her low health (and low armor without Marksmanship, since Tusk can quickly close the gap to Drow Ranger).
* Monkey King can scout Drow Ranger's positioning from the trees, and can jump on her without much trouble, disabling Marksmanship * She lacks innate mobility to escape from Wukong's Command, whose bonus armor gives MK one extra edge in the fight
* Tag Team easily overwhelms pudge,as he has low armor.Combined with heavy physical hitters and Pudge's slow speed, it becomes for Pudge difficult to escape. * Snowball hides a Dismembered ally and stops his ultimate. * Walrus PUNCH! removes a big chunk of his health and stuns him. * Pudge usually can't stand toe to toe against Tusk and his allies in the early game.
* His low armor deters him from a trade,while Jingu Mastery allows Monkey King to retaliate. * Buffed Boundless Strike heals Monkey King and can potentially execute Pudge. * Monkey King can scout Pudge's positioning from the trees, making it easier for him and his allies to dodge Meat Hook. * With a better-than-average strength gain, he usually survives Pudge's combo.
* Shadow Fiend's lack of mobility and low base health make him an easy target for early ganks.
* Requiem of Souls is easily interrupted by Boundless Strike, due to its long cast time. * Shadow Fiend's lack of mobility and escape makes him an easy target to ambush with Primal Spring, especially during laning stage. * Being close means he cannot use all three razes on you before you get your Jingu Mastery stacks.
* Walrus PUNCH! makes Legion Commander lose Duel easily, especially when she doesn't have Blade Mail. Tusk can also snowball dueled allies, preventing them from taking damage for a large portion of the duel's duration.
* Heroes that lack burst damage will have a difficult time taking down Monkey King, and fare badly against Jingu Mastery: Legion Commander, Lifestealer, Weaver, Wraith King
* Heroes that can easily bypass Chen's creeps to get to Chen: Riki, Tusk, Clinkz, Sniper, Slark, Phantom Assassin, Void Spirit, Storm Spirit, Ember Spirit, Earth Spirit, Spirit Breaker.
* Monkey King can kill Chen or any of his allies with his physical damage burst from Boundless Strike and Jingu Mastery before he can use Hand of God. * None of the neutral creeps have any abilities to destroy trees, which makes Chen an excellent target for ganks with Tree Dance and Primal Spring.
* Snowball allows Tusk to easily cancel Freezing Field from a safe distance without putting himself in any danger. * Walrus PUNCH! is most certainly a high enough damage nuke to easily kill off Crystal Maiden. * Ice Shards can prevent the already immobile Crystal Maiden from escaping, making her an easy kill for either Tusk or a teammate. Additional: * Crystal Maiden's low health and armor make her an easy target for Walrus PUNCH! * Tusk's Snowball can protect allies and cancel Freezing Field. * Snowball and Walrus PUNCH! can interrupt Freezing Field.
* Ice Shards can easily interfere with Rolling Thunder, making him stuck inside the arc and wasting his ultimate. Do not panic and use Shield Crash to get out of that position. * Snowball helps Tusk and his allies follow a fleeing Pangolier, keep in mind that the Pangolier can always counter-initiate with his Rolling Thunder. * Walrus PUNCH! deals heavy damage even during his Rolling Thunder.
* Firestorm will do little percentage damage to a small HP hero like Monkey King. * All aspects of Jingu Mastery benefits ignore Atrophy Aura's base damage reduction. * Monkey King can get on top of Underlord easily at any stage of the game.
* Monkey King’s clones from Wukong’s Command and Aghanim’s Scepter are immune to Chronosphere, so it is a very bad idea to Chronosphere Monkey King with his clones around. Additional: * Monkey King’s clones from Wukong’s Command and Aghanim’s Scepter are immune to Chronosphere, so it is a very bad idea to Chronosphere Monkey King with his clones around. * If Monkey King's himself is not caught inside Chronosphere, he can cast Wukong Command's next to it to force Faceless Void to scatter
* Silencer's low mobility and lack of any stuns or roots makes him an easy target. * Silence will not protect Silencer from Jingu Mastery's extra damage and lifesteal. * Monkey King often buys Black King Bar, which can be used to negate silence debuff effects.
* Dispersion will not do anything against throughout the game due to his high lifesteal with Jingu Mastery. * Monkey King often buys Manta Style, which will deny Desolate benefits in 1v1 situations. * Haunt will do nothing to stop people trapped within Monkey Kings ultimate. * In all, Spectre is very easily pressured by Monkey King early into the game and is a very easy gank target to coordinate with your team.
* Tree Dance and Primal Spring allows him to chase a retreating Meepo. * Boundless Strike gains critical strike bonuses and Wukong's Command can take down Meepo and his clones very quickly. Additional: * Monkey King can gain Jingu Mastery stacks on Meepo’s clones from Divided We Stand. * Tree Dance allows him to sneak up on and gank a lone Meepo clone.
* Jingu Mastery will still add stacks even through Guardian Angel. * Monkey King can join a fight whenever he chooses to, meaning he can simply go directly onto Omniknight. * During the laning phase, Jingu Mastery with Boundless Strike will kill off Omniknight, while Purification is weak. * Heavenly Grace is useless against Monkey King's ultimate and Jingu Mastery bonuses.
* Because Templar Assassin does not have escape potential in lane, any support hero with roaming potential and a Dust of Appearance can be great at shutting her down early game: Earth Spirit, Spirit Breaker, Tusk, Bounty Hunter, Riki, Warlock.
* Heroes that can maintain vision on Monkey King can see when he uses Tree Dance: Bloodseeker, Treant Protector with Eyes In The Forest, Sniper, Weaver
* Snowball allows Tusk to move himself and allies towards Sniper whilst invulnerable and hidden. * His Ice Shards may also block pathing for Sniper as he has no means of moving through obstacles. In addition, Tag Team can hinder Sniper's escape. Additional: * Tusk alone or with his teammates can close Sniper's long range easily with Snowball, even wasting Shrapnel, ending with a very vulnerable Sniper. * Walrus PUNCH! damage can easily kill Sniper instantly due to his low health.
* Heroes with wide AoE abilities will reveal Monkey King through Mischief: Necrophos, Phoenix, Alchemist, Earthshaker, Razor, Tinker, Leshrac, Queen of Pain
* Alchemist has very bad armor and does not build armor items for the large majority of his build, so Jingu Mastery and Wukong's Command can be very deadly. * Desolator, Sange and Yasha or Diffusal Blade can all be purchased to increase your damage against Alchemist or just to keep your movement speed high enough to match him while Chemical Rage is active. * Monkey King is an agility hero and scales with armor, so Acid Spray loses it's effectiveness later in the game.
* Durable heroes can stand against Tusk during 1v1: Axe, Dragon Knight, Night Stalker, Centaur Warrunner, Wraith King and more.
* Wraith King has no ability to destroy trees from Tree Dance. * Monkey King tends to get Diffusal Blade, leaving Wraith King no mana to reincarnate unless Wraith King has his Aghanim's Shard. * A reincarnated Wraith King is an ideal target for Wukong's Command.
* Malefice will cause Monkey King to struggle without Black King Bar, as its periodic damage and stun disables/interrupts abilities, such as Tree Dance and Wukong's Command. * Midnight Pulse can also destroy trees in a wide radius, stunning Monkey King if he happened to be on a tree caught within Midnight Pulse area-of-effect. Additional: * Malefice keeps Tree Dance on cooldown, and can interrupt Wukong's Command's long cast time. * Midnight Pulse destroys a large amount of trees.
* Walrus PUNCH! can interrupt Black Hole and it can pierce spell immunity and neither Black King Bar nor Linken's Sphere can protect Enigma from Walrus PUNCH! as Walrus PUNCH! is an auto-cast ability. * In pretty much any phase of the game, Tusk's abilities can easily cancel Black Hole and disrupt Enigma's positioning.
* Monkey King's natural reliance on trees makes him an exceptionally prime target for Spear of Mars. Should Monkey King use Mischief to disguise himself, it will still hit him, stunning him in the process. * God's Rebuke easily pushes Monkey King out of Wukong's Command. Additional: * If visible, Mars can knock Monkey King off his Tree Dance with God's Rebuke, as well as Spear of Mars. Arena of Blood also destroys a large swath of trees, which can disrupt Monkey King's positioning and turn him vulnerable should he choose to hide in trees. * Mars can endure Jingu Mastery attacks simply by facing him with Bulwark. * Mars can end Wukong's Command early by displacing Monkey King with a well-thrown Spear of Mars. Mars can also endure most of his clones with Bulwark.
* Snowball can protect Tusk and his teammates from a Spear of Mars' stun after an Arena of Blood, and with proper targeting, even bring them out of the Arena. This is especially noticeable in the earlier stages of the game before allies buy Black King Bar and rely on this less. Even during the late-game, Tusk can purchase a Blink Dagger to save allies that are caught before Black King Bars can be used by Blinking in and Snowballing out. * Tag Team is a constant threat to Mars in-lane, as it deals significant damage and slow, making Bulwark slightly ineffective. * It is worth noting that Ice Shards can be detrimental to Tusk's own team by creating terrain that Spear of Mars can latch on, though using it conservatively is a good enough solution in most cases.
* Ball Lightning allows Storm Spirit to destroy a large amount of trees, negating Tree Dance. It also makes it easy to avoid Wukong's Command and Boundless Strike. Additional: * Ball Lightning allows Storm Spirit to easily catch up to Monkey King, destroying a large number of trees, cancelling Tree Dance, and causing Monkey King to be stunned in the process.
* Tusks damage/stun is enough to obliviate Storm Spirit before he can do anything. * Tusk is a common Blink Dagger carrier, and once he reaches Level 18, Walrus PUNCH! deals roughly half of Storm Spirit's health alone, It also stuns for a long enough time for Tusk to Snowball Storm Spirit, stunning him even more, If that hasn't finished him off, the damage from Ice Shards probably will. Combined with Tag Team, which adds bonus damage to Tusks attacks, Storm Spirit is unlikely to survive Tusk initiating on him * Walrus PUNCH is even more potent if he uses a Silver Edge instead * However while Ball Lightning doesn't disjoint Snowball, if used before Tusk hits with Snowball, prevents the stun and damage from being applied
* Venomancer's magical damage-over-time poisons putting Tree Dance on cooldown, greatly diminishing Monkey King's mobility. * Venomous Gale and Posion Nova will hit Monkey King when he is perched on a tree, or disguised by Mischief. Additional: * Venomancer's magical damage-over-time poisons will constantly put Tree Dance on cooldown, greatly diminishing Monkey King's mobility. * Venomous Gale and Poison Nova will hit Monkey King when he is perched on a tree, or disguised with Mischief. * However, Venomancer is also easily ganked by Monkey King if caught by surprise.
* Snowball can be used to save allies or himself during Venomous Gale and Poison Nova. * Venomancer lacks mobility and has low base health, so he can be killed by Walrus PUNCH!
* Zeus is good against heroes that juke in trees or up cliffs, like Batrider, Monkey King, Spectre, and Tinker, by providing vision in any area with Lightning Bolt, or guaranteeing vision on enemies with Thundergod's Wrath.
* Heroes with long range abilities are also able to touch Zeus, such as Clockwerk, Kunkka, Puck, Skywrath Mage, Spirit Breaker, Tusk and others.
* Nature's Prophet's Natures's Call can destroy trees while Monkey King is standing on them with Tree Dance, which will stun him for a good deal of time.
* Sprout will not protect Nature's Prophet from Tree Dance. * Boundless Strike will interrupt attempts at Teleportation, and can reach Nature's Prophet inside the tree line.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero win rate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results now also sorted both by rating and average hero win rate for the chosen rank (data from dotabuff)
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal win rate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest win
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.